Fruity Chicken Balls are a great finger food for kids of all ages. Great for baby-led weaning (BLW), for toddlers or in a kids lunch box.
The first time that I made these fruity chicken balls was when Rory was a baby. He did baby-led weaning and I found that these were a great little finger food to have at home or to pop into a lunch box when going out and about.
The only way Rory would eat chicken as a baby was if it was thigh meat or minced and made into burgers or balls such as these. As he got older he was more able /willing to eat chunks of meat but even now, at two years old, he prefers meat served like this.
Now that Finn has started school I have been thrown into the world of lunch boxes. It is important to me that Finn has a healthy and varied lunch box as, after all, it makes up a third of his daily food. Lately, I have been thinking of different foods that I can add to the lunch box and thought that these would be perfect; they can be frozen and taste really good cold.
I often serve these as part of the main meal or with a small salad at lunchtime. Usually, I cut up some fruit and vegetables to make fun little kebab sticks with them. I’m not sure why, but kids generally find food instantly more appealing when it is on a stick!
The reason I add milk-soaked breadcrumbs to the mixture is to produce a lighter, more tender ball. If you or your kid have allergies then you can miss this out, they still taste great!
You May Also Like
- Lemongrass and Ginger Chicken Meatballs
- Turkey Meatballs in a Tomato Sauce
- Sweet & Sour Quinoa Balls
Have you tried this recipe? I love receiving your feedback, please rate and leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @healthylittlefoodies
Looking for more healthy kid recipes?Sign up for my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more kind-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Fruity Chicken Balls
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 1 carrot , peeled and grated
- 40g (3/4 cup) Fresh Breadcrumbs (optional see notes)
- 2 tbsp Milk (optional see notes)
- 1 Small pear , peeled and grated
- 1 Apple , peeled and grated
- 500 g Chicken mince
- 2 tsp Fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- Oil for frying
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion and carrot, over a low heat, until soft. (For around 5 mins)
- Add the milk to the breadcrumbs and allow to sit for 5 mins.
- Place the apple and pear onto a clean dishcloth and squeeze as much juice as you can out of them. (save the juice for smoothies etc)
- Add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix with your hands until all the ingredients are mixed together.
- Form around 25 balls with your hands. Shallow fry for around five minutes, until golden on both sides.
- I add the soaked breadcrumbs to the mixture to produce a lighter, more tender ball. If you have a dairy/gluten allergy then you can miss this out but the ball will be tougher.