If you are looking for a quick, easy and healthy breakfast option then Overnight Weetabix (Overnight Weetbix) is a must-try. Five minutes in the evening will make morning time a breeze.
If you're a fan of overnight oats—be it banana overnight oats, apple overnight oats, mango overnight oats, or strawberry overnight oats—get ready to fall in love with this social media favourite breakfast. Introducing the delicious world of overnight weetabix.
What is Overnight Weetabix?
Overnight Weetabix is a tik tok food trend that involves crumbling and soaking Weetabix Biscuits in milk and then topping it with a variety of layers such as fruit and yogurt.
Using the same concept of Overnight Oats, or chia pudding, Overnight Weetabix is prepared the night before, chilled in the refrigerator, and ready to be eaten the next morning.
However, instead of mixing everything together, as you do with overnight oats, you layer the ingredients when making the Weetabix version.
Weetabix (as I know it from growing up in the UK) or Weet-bix as my children call it (growing up in Australia) are biscuits made from wholegrain wheat. They are low in sugar, fortified with vitamins & iron and are a popular breakfast cereal in both countries
Reasons to Love this Breakfast
This Overnight Weetabix recipe is a fantastic breakfast for numerous reasons...
- NUTRITION - Packed with 100% wholegrain biscuits (fortified with vitamins & iron), fresh fruit and creamy yogurt, it provides a healthy start to the day.
- BREEZY MORNING - Meal prep the evening before for those busy mornings.
- CUSTOMISABLE - Easily tailored to suit different tastes and diets—try it with plant-based milk and different yogurt varieties.
- DELICIOUS - So delicious that my kids consider it a breakfast dessert - a Weetabix cheesecake!
Ingredient Information (With Alternative Suggestions & Topping Ideas)
For the full recipe, with ingredient amounts, scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Weetabix / Weet-bix or other wheat biscuits (shredded wheat will also work if unavailable).
- Milk of choice for soaking the base.
- Banana for adding sweetness, flavour and nutrition.
- Cinnamon/Vanilla (optional, to taste)
- Greek Yogurt provides a creamy texture and added protein.
- Frozen Raspberries For a fruity flavour.
The flavour and topping combinations for Overnight Weet-bix are endless, ranging from the super healthy to the very indulgent. For a healthier breakfast choice try adding..
- Fruit / Fruit Purees - fruit and fruit purees can be added to the yoghurt to flavour it or used as a separate layer. It can also be added as a topping
- Spreads - a swirl of your favorite nut butter or a dollop of chia jam can add great flavour without overloading the breakfast with sugar.
- Chia Seeds - Try adding some chia seeds to the Weetabix layer for extra nutrition and texture.
- Chopped nuts - add just before serving, make sure they are prepared according to your child's age and stage to prevent choking.
- Granola - added as a topping, just before serving for added crunch
If you want to make your Overnight Weetabix more of a dessert than a breakfast then you really can go crazy with different toppings and fillings.
Warm up some Biscoff spread or Nutella (or both) and layer it on, add a chocolate layer or chunks of your favourite cookies or chocolate bars (such as chocolate chips, mars, snickers, bounty, m&ms)
Step-By-Step Instructions (With Images)
This section features step-by-step photos for visual reference. The complete recipe can be found by scrolling to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Weetabix Base: Crumble two Weetabix into the bottom of a container or bowl and mix with milk. Flatten with the back of a spoon to create an even layer.
- Banana Layer: Add a layer of mashed banana and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top of the weetabix layer.
- Fruity Yogurt Layer: In a separate bowl mix mashed raspberries with yoghurt until combined well. Layer on top of the banana. Cover and refrigerate overnight (or for a min of 1 hour)
- Toppings: Remove from the refrigerator, add fresh berries or your favourite toppings and serve.
This really depends on the recipe. This recipe is fruit-sweetened and contains plain yogurt for protein. It is topped with fresh fruit. However, many overnight weet-bix recipes could be viewed more as a dessert as they involve adding a lot of sweeteners (honey, maple syrup, sugar etc) as well as toppings such as Biscoff, Nutella or chunks of popular chocolate bars. Just be mindful of the add-ins and toppings if you are looking for a healthier breakfast.
If refrigerated overnight Weetabix can last around 2-3 days but is best eaten within 24 hours.
No, you can eat it straight away but the appeal of the recipe is the fact the base firms up with refrigeration. An hour or two in the refrigerator will be enough to do this.
Weetabix is suitable from 6 months +. It is best to stick with fruit and natural yoghurt to limit the added sugar. Some babies may also be acceptable to some grated carrot or zucchini (courgette) mixed in too.
This recipe does contain wheat and dairy both of which are potential allergens and should be introduced separately before offering this breakfast.
More Breakfast Ideas
Looking for more healthy kid recipes?Sign up for my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more kid-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
- 1 small container, jar or bowl with lid
- 2 Weetabix / Weet-bix (or other wheat biscuit)
- ½ cup (125ml) Milk
- ½ Banana
- ⅛ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¾ cup (180g) Plain Yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon Vanilla
- ½ cup (60g) Frozen Raspberries, defrosted
- Crumble the Weetabix into a bowl, jar or container and stir in the milk. Push down with a fork or back of a spoon until the mixture is compacted. You may need to let it sit for a minute to fully absorb the milk.
- Mash the banana and place on top of the Weetabix layer. Spread over to create an even layer. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Mash the defrosted berries and stir into the yogurt, along with the vanilla, until fully mixed. Spoon over the banana and spread to create an even layer.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight (or for at least 1 hour). Top with toppings of choice (fresh fruit, chia jam, peanut butter etc)