These Indian Spiced Meatballs are made with lamb mince, spinach and spices. Great for introducing flavour when doing Baby-led Weaning.
My Mum used to make these Indian spiced meatballs when my sister, brother and I were kids. They were one of our favourite meals and we used to ask for them all the time. It was probably because my Mum would serve them with delicious dips, popodums, and lots of cut vegetables. We just thought is was a fun lunch.
I had forgotten all about them until recently, when my sister asked my Mum how to make them. I thought they would be perfect for this blog, so also got the recipe. The original recipe has salt in it, which I think really enhances all the flavours. However, as I am feeding a baby and young child, I omitted it. If you have older kids you may want to add a pinch of salt to the recipe.
I love meatballs and I know they aren’t difficult to make but I often avoid them because I have in my head that they make a lot of mess and are time consuming. However, every time I do prepare them I tell myself that I should make them more as they really are a quick and easy meal. You just have to throw all the ingredients into a food processor, mix and roll into balls. I like to make them in the morning which makes meal time in the evening so much easier (does anyone else have cranky, tired and hungry kids around 4 /5 pm?)
To make the meatballs more appealing to kids I like to skewer them on a sticks. Kids love food on a stick and it can often transform a meal. Adding a dip is another great way to make a meal more kid friendly and these meat balls taste delicious with cucumber and mint raita.
Looking for more healthy kid recipes?Sign up for my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more kind-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Indian Spiced Meatballs
- 450g 1 lb minced lamb (ground lamb)
- 30g 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 tbsp milk
- 1 onion (white, brown or red), finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ginger puree
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 25g 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1 tbsp oil (for frying)
- Pre heat oven to 190c / 375f / gas 5
- Soak the breadcrumbs in milk and set aside
- Place all other ingredients (apart from the oil) in the food processor and mix until all ingredients are combined.
- Add the breadcrumb mixture and mix again until you have a smooth paste.
- Roll into heaped tablespoon balls (I made 22) and place on a baking tray
- Chill for 15 mins. Heat the oil in a wide, shallow frying pan and brown the balls. Then return to the baking tray.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Serve with cucumber raita or a dip of your choice.
* Nutritional values are an estimate only, based on an online calculator. They should be used as a guide only.