Carrot Sweet Potato Fries – A great alternative to regular fries and the perfect finger food for kids of all ages.
I remember the first time I ever had sweet potato fries. It was when I lived in the USA and they came with a dish I ordered. I recall being so annoyed that they weren’t regular fries. Not being a huge fan of sweet potatoes then, I just didn’t get why anyone would want or order sweet potato fries!
Once I started Finn on solids, sweet potatoes soon became a staple food. Finn loved them and they were great for adding to most purees. I started to eat them more myself and they quickly became a favourite.
When Rory started solids, I chose to do BLW (Baby-led weaning) with him and again sweet potato was a popular first food, especially roasted. He has always loved these carrot sweet potato fries. Just a mixture of carrots and sweet potatoes tossed in olive oil and smoked paprika. When in season, I also used to add some parsnips to the mix.
I like to cut the sweet potato and carrots into thick chunky fries. I slice the sweet potato and carrots to around 1.5-2cm thick and then cut into the fries.
You can easily adapt this recipe. We are huge fans of smoked paprika in our house but you could miss it out and add some of your favourite dried herbs.
You May Also Like
Have you tried this recipe? I love receiving your feedback, please rate and leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @healthylittlefoodies
Carrot and Sweet Potato Fries
- 1 Large Sweet Potato (mine was 558g)
- 4 Carrots (mine weighed 450g)
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tsp Smoked paprika.
- Pre heat oven to 190C / 375F
- Wash / scrub the sweet potato and carrots (there is no need to peel but you can if you wish)
- Cut your potato and carrots into fries. I cut mine quite chunky (around 1.5cm - 2cm thick)
- Place all the carrots / sweet potatoes into a mixing bowl and toss with the olive oil and smoked paprika until they are all coated.
- Place on a baking tray on one single layer (I needed two trays)
- Bake for 35 mins, turning half way through.
- Oven temperatures vary and the length of time may be shorter / longer depending on how thick you have cut your fries.
Nutritional Information is a ROUGH guide only, calculated using an online nutrition calculator.