Sweet potato and chickpea cakes – grated sweet potato mixed with chickpeas, egg, spices and herbs. A quick and nutritious lunch, snack or finger food.
I can’t believe I hardly ate sweet potatoes until I had kids. I was seriously missing out for years. I’m making up for it now though, thanks to both Finn and Rory’s love for them! They are so adaptable and we have them in many ways, mashed to top pies or to put into croquettes, spiralized into noodles, made into fries, wedges or used to make sweet truffles and brownies.
These sweet potato and chickpea cakes are a new favourite way to enjoy them. I grate the potatoes so that I don’t have to pre cook them before forming the cake. If your kids are funny about texture and you think they would prefer a smoother cake then you could always boil/steam/roast the sweet potatoes before hand and mash together with the chickpeas.
Sweet Potato and Chickpea Cakes
- 150 g (1 1/2 cups) grated sweet potato
- 240 g (1 tin drained) chickpeas
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 handful chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp oil (for frying)
- Mash the chickpeas
- Mix together all the ingredients (apart from the oil)
- Form into heaped tablespoon patties (I made ten)
- Heat oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the cakes to the pan and fry for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.