A delicious side dish for the whole family to enjoy, these Smashed Potatoes with a Lemon Herb Dip are great for little hands to pick up.
As a kid I used to hate potatoes, or so I thought, but really I just hated boiled and baked potatoes. If they were mashed, roasted or thrown into a potato salad I loved them. This is one of the many reasons I think it is important to serve foods in numerous different ways to kids. Just because your child doesn't like a certain food steamed doesn't mean they won't like it roasted. I'm pretty sure as a kid I would have loved these smashed potatoes with a lemon herb dip and I know my boys certainly do.
What is it with dips and instant child appeal? It is my fail-safe method for getting my kids to eat something they normally wouldn't. It doesn't have to be unhealthy either, I love to blend fruit and vegetables into my dips like in this avocado dip. For more dip inspiration check out these dips from Super Healthy Kids.
I wouldn't have needed to serve these smashed potatoes with a dip, both my boys love potatoes as they are. However, the dip just makes the dish and the kids can even help prepare it.
You May Also Like
Have you tried this recipe? I love to receive your feedback, please rate and leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @healthylittlefoodies.
Looking for more healthy kid recipes?Sign up for my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more kid-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Smashed Potatoes with a Lemon Herb Dip
- 750g Baby Potatoes
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 130g (½ cup) Sour Cream
- ¼ tsp Minced garlic
- rind of Half a lemon
- 1 ½ teaspoon Fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon Finely chopped chive
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook potatoes until tender. (approx 15-20 min) Drain well
- In the last 10 mins of cooking pre heat the oven to 230c / 450f and lightly coat a baking tray with oil
- Place the drained potatoes on the baking tray and gently press down with a fork / masher until each potato is mostly flattened.
- Drizzle the oil over the potatoes and sprinkle with pepper and salt (optional - omit for babies and young children)
- Place in the oven and bake for approx 20 min, until golden and crispy.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl mix the sour cream, garlic, lemon and herbs together.
- Serve straight away