This Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry is a quick and easy meal that the whole family will enjoy. The sweet potato adds a delicious sweetness which complements the spices perfectly.
Sweet Potato was one of the first foods that both my boys ate and they instantly loved it. It still is a favourite today and this Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry is just one of the many ways that they enjoy eating it. I often add a little sweetness to my kids’ curry as it can help counteract the spice in the dish and in this case the sweet potato works perfectly.
How to Make Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry
- Saute onion & carrot until the onion is translucent. – I usually grate some vegetables into meals that have some form of sauce to max out my kids’ vegetable intake. The grated carrot disintegrates into the sauce and goes unnoticed. It also adds sweetness to the curry to help with the heat.
- Add the garlic and spices and stir for a further minute.
- Add the sweet potato and continue to stir for a further two mins. Add some stock if it starts to stick.
- Add the remaining ingredients, bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for approx 30 mins, until the potato is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
Cutting the Potatoes
Take a little time over the cutting of the potatoes, you want the pieces to be uniform in size so that they will cook at the same time. I cut mine roughly 1cm cubes, if you make them bigger then the curry will need longer simmering to ensure the potatoes are cooked.
Choosing a Curry Powder
Curry powders vary greatly and will change the taste of this curry. I recommend you study the back of the pack to see what is in them before buying. Some brands have salt pretty high up in the ingredient list, which you want to avoid for babies and young toddlers. Some also have added sugar which I personally avoid. I use quite a hot curry powder but my kids have been eating curry for quite a while now and are used to spicer food. I recommend using a mild powder if your kids haven’t been exposed to spicy food much. If it is still too spicy for them, stirring through some plain yoghurt will help and it tastes delicious too.
You may also like
Have you tried this recipe? I love receiving your feedback, please rate and leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @healthylittlefoodies
Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry
A deliciously spiced vegetarian curry, ideal for kids. The sweet potato adds a delicious sweetness that complements the spices perfectly.
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 Onion, finely diced
- 1 Carrot, grated and then chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp Curry Powder (see note 1)
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 270g 2 cups Sweet Potato, cut into 1cm cubes
- 800g 28oz Canned Chickpeas (2 x 400g), drained
- 400g 14 oz Can of Chopped Tomatoes
- 500ml 2 cups Vegetable / Chicken Stock (see note 2)
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium high heat. Add the onion and carrot and cook until the onion is transparent (around 2-3 mins)
Add the garlic, smoked paprika, cumin and curry powder and stir continuously for another min.
Add the sweet potato and continue to stir for a further two mins. Add some stock if it starts to stick.
Add the remaining ingredients, bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for approx 30 mins, until the potato is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
- Curry powder can vary greatly and can really change the taste of this curry. Check the ingredients and avoid those that have a high salt content if cooking for babies and young toddlers.
- Use homemade / low sodium stock for babies and kids.