These Rainbow Fritters are a kid-friendly way to get kids to eat a selection of vegetables.
One of the most popular recipes on my blog is pea fritters. It’s an old one but each week it is in the top five most viewed recipes. This week I decided it was time for me to add a new fritter recipe and I think you, and your kids, are going to love these rainbow fritters.
I’ve worked all week on the recipe and have tried to make these a lot healthier. I’ve packed in as many vegetables as I could and have greatly increased the ratio of vegetables to flour. I’ve also used chickpea flour to increase the protein content and to make them gluten-free for my readers that are looking for this.
Finger foods always seem to be a winner with kids and these are no different. You can serve them with a dip of choice or as part of a lunch or main meal. If your kids don’t mind cold food then you could also pop a couple of these into a lunch box the next day.
When making these, you want to make sure you squeeze all the water out of the zucchini (courgette) and carrots. If you skip this step then you will change the consistency of the batter and they won’t flip properly. Due to the higher ratio of vegetables, I also recommend leaving the batter in the pan for three to four minutes before attempting to flip. If you do all this then your fritters should form and flip well.
You May Also Like
Have you tried this recipe? I love receiving your feedback, please rate and leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @healthylittlefoodies
Fritters packed full of different coloured veggies.
- 1 medium zucchini (courgette) grated (1 cup / 130g)
- 1 small carrot grated (1/2 cup / 60g)
- 1/2 red capsicum pepper finely diced (1/2 cup / 60g)
- 1/2 cup (65g) corn kernels
- 1/4 cup (30g) grated parmesan
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup (40g) chickpea flour
- Oil for frying
- Place the carrots and zucchini on a clean cloth and squeeze as much water out of them. Place in a mixing bowl.
- Add the peppers, corn, parsley and parmesan and mix until combined.
- Add the egg and stir until mixed. Finally add the flour and mix until combined.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil on medium low heat. Fill up an ice cream scoop with the mixture and drop into the pan. Flatten slightly with a fork. Fry for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
Nutritional Information is a ROUGH guide only, calculated using an online nutrition calculator.