Bean and Veggie Nuggets, perfect for little hands.
Finn has recently started going to pre school for the full day which has meant the start of packing lunch boxes. I have been trying to make lunches that are healthy, have lots of variety but are also simple to prepare the night before. (Mornings are just a little too stressful without adding a lunch making into the mix.) Some of the recipes on my site work great in the lunch box, especially the finger foods such as quinoa balls, lentil bake or zucchini bites . I’m now working on developing a lot more of these finger food type recipes, they are always popular on the blog and perfect for lunch boxes. If you want to check out some of the lunches I pack Finn then pop over to my instagram page. Once he starts school in February, I plan to share more of his lunches on the blog.
These Bean and Veggie Nuggets are my newest recipe to recieve lunch box approval from Finn. They taste delicious hot, straight out of the oven but also nice cold. The ingredients include canellini beans, carrots and zucchini making them super nutritious for your little ones. Before you add the egg and breadcrumbs take a taste of the mixture, it’s so good and makes a super tasty, healthy spread.
Bean and Veggie Nuggets
- 1 400 g / 140z tin cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 medium zucchini / courgette (182g) finely grated
- 1 medium carrot (100g) finely grated
- 1/4 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 packed cup (70g) grated cheddar
- 1/4 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup (40g) breadcrumbs
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 cup (80g) breadcrumbs
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Pre heat oven to 220c / 425F / Gas 7. Lightly crease a baking sheet with oil or line with baking paper.
- Squeeze as much water as you can from the carrots and zucchinis (i use a clean tea towel to do this)
- Put the cannellini beans into a food processor and process until smooth. Add the carrots, zucchini, garlic, cheese and herbs and continue to process until combined.
- Add the breadcrumbs and egg and pulse until combined.
- Place the mixture into the fridge for approx. 15 mins to firm up.
- Place the beaten egg in a bowl and the breadcrumbs on a flat plate.
- With wet hands, take 1 tbsp of mixture and form a nugget (I made mine croquette shaped in picture but have also made them more rounded) Dip in the egg and roll in the breadcrumbs to coat. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 20 mins.