Chunks of chicken coated in a spiced yogurt marinade and threaded onto skewers, these chicken tikka kebabs are perfect served with salad and dips or shredded and added to sandwiches, curries or pizzas.
Why These Kebabs are Family Friendly
- EASY - A super quick marinade to prepare. Make in the morning and allow the chicken to marinade during the day. Then it is just a case of threading and cooking in the evening.
- FLAVOURSOME - There are lots of benefits to adding spices to baby food. This is a great dish for doing this. Mild, yet flavoursome, these kebabs are ideal for babies, toddlers, big kids and adults. (Remove from sticks when serving young children. You can cook on the stick, remove and add to child-friendly skewers)
- GREAT AS LEFTOVERS - Chicken Tikka Kebabs are also delicious cold. Remove from their sticks and add to salads, sandwiches, wraps, pittas, stir through coconut lime rice or top tortilla pizzas.
Video - Watch How to Make Them
Ingredient Information (With Alternative Suggestions)
- CHICKEN THIGH: Can be substituted with breast or tenderloin but thigh is best for the juiciest chicken.
- GREEK YOGURT: Can be substituted for thick natural yogurt.
- SPICES: Garam Masala, Coriander, Cumin, Paprika & Turmeric, you should easily find these in most grocery stores.
- GARLIC & GINGER: Mince or use jars of minced garlic/ginger for speed.
- LIME JUICE: Can be substituted with lemon juice.
Process Steps and Photos
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together until combined.
- Add the chicken and coat. Cover and refrigerate, allow to marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Soak sticks in water to prevent burning when cooking, they should soak for at least 30 mins.
- Thread chicken pieces onto the skewers.
- Cook (adding foil to the end of each skewer can also help with the sticks burning.)
- Try to cut the chicken in similar sized pieces for even cooking.
- Balance sticks over a dish to allow the drips to be caught.
- You can add chunks of red onion, bell pepper or pineapple to add variety to the kebabs.
- REFRIGERATE: Once cooled, remove chicken from skewers and place in an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- FREEZE: Once cooled, remove chicken from skewers and place in an airtight container. Freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw, overnight, in the refrigerator.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, this is mild and suitable for a baby (over 6 months). Do not add the salt and reduce the paprika, if concerned about heat. Do not serve on the skewers, remove and shred the chicken into pieces and always supervise.
Yes, in fact, this is best marinated in advance, you want to marinate for at least 1 hour. You can also cook in advance and serve cold. However, if you wish to enjoy them hot you are best to cook just before serving as reheating can dry out the chicken.
Yes, these would be a great addition to a summer BBQ! Grill skewers for around 20 minutes or until cooked through and lightly charred on all sides.
You May Also Like
Looking for more healthy kid recipes?Sign up for my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more kid-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Chicken Tikka Kebabs
- Skewers (wooden or metal) the number needed will depend on the length of the skewers. I used 6.
- 500g (1lb) Chicken Thighs boneless skinless, cut into 2cm/4/5" pieces
- ½ Cup (120g) Natural Greek Yogurt
- 2 teaspoon Garlic minced
- 3 teaspoon Ginger minced
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Ground Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Ground Coriander
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) Lime Juice
- ½ - 1 tsp Salt to taste (do not add if serving a baby or young child)
- Add the marinade ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine
- Add the chicken and mix until the marinade fully coats the chicken.
- Cover, refrigerate and allow to marinate for at least 1 hour.
- If using wooden skewers, soak in water for at least 30 mins to prevent burning when cooking.
- Pre-heat oven to 200c (400f)
- Remove the marinated chicken from the fridge and thread onto skewers.
- Cook for approx 20 mins, until cooked through and lightly charred.
*Originally posted Nov 2013, has been updated to include process shots and provide more recipe information.
Leave a Comment