This coconut lime rice dish makes a great accompaniment to many dishes but it can also be easily adapted to serve as a dish in its own right. In the past I have added shredded chicken, red pepper and chunks of mango to the rice and Finn has devoured it in seconds.
The coconut milk gives the rice a beautiful creamy texture and as the rice cooks the lime starts to become jammy. I’ve had a lot of compliments when I have served this rice, both from adults and children.
Please remember that some commercial stocks can be very salty, try and use home made stock or look for low salt / baby stock.
Coconut and Lime Rice
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 spring onions finely chopped
- 2 cup basmati rice
- 2 cup coconut milk
- 2 cup chicken stock
- 1 lime
- Heat oil in a pan, add the spring onion and cook on a gentle heat for around 2 minutes (until soft)
- Add the rice and make sure the grains are coated in the oil.
- Add the stock, coconut milk and zest of the lime and bring to the boil. Half the lime and add both parts to the pan.
- Cover, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 15 - 20 mins (until all liquid is absorbed. )
- Leave the pan covered, with the heat turned off, for a further 5 minutes. Then remove the lime and squeeze the flesh into the rice dish.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.