Chicken fajitas are a great fast food meal and kids seem to love the interactive nature of them. (Filling tortilla and then trying to wrap them up.)
Have you ever taken a look at the ingredient list of a packet of fajita seasoning? Both sugar and salt featured very high in all the packs I have looked at. One pack even had sugar as the first ingredient. I make my own seasoning so I can omit any salt (to make it suitable for toddlers) and any sugars or other ingredient that I do not feel necessary.
This recipe is so simple and quick to prepare. You can easily omit/ change/ add to the mixture to suit your families’ taste buds. Our family love the flavour profile of sweet smoked paprika so this is the main spice in the recipe. Using a different type of paprika will change the flavour of the seasoning.
I serve this with guacamole, corn, salsa and greek yogurt along with wholemeal tortilla wraps or on top of a salad. If you have any leftovers then why not use it as a topping on a tortilla pizza
Looking for more healthy kid recipes?Sign up for my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more kind-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 clove garlic - peeled and crushed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large chicken breasts - cut into thin strips
- 1 onion - halved and thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper , deseeded and sliced
- 1 yellow pepper , deseeded and sliced
- 1 lime
- Mix together the paprika, cumin, garlic and 1tbsp of oil in a bowl. Add the chicken and coat with the mixture. Allow to marinade for 5 mins +.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan and cook the chicken for a couple of mins before adding the onion and peppers. Cook for a further 5 mins (until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables have softened.)
- Squeeze the juice of the lime into the mixture and serve.