Need a quick and easy lunch idea that the whole family will love? These Tortilla Pizzas fit the bill. Set up a topping bar (with loads of veggie options) so your children can get creative and make their very own Pizza.
How to Make a Tortilla Pizza
A tortilla pizza simply involves you switching out a regular pizza base with a tortilla wrap. Top a tortilla wrap with sauce, cheese and toppings and bake until golden and bubbly.
- Place your tortilla on a pizza tray. (If you don’t have a pizza tray you can use a baking sheet or a large skillet pan. You want to prepare your pizza on the tray because this eliminates you having to transfer the pizza once topped (the thin tortilla base makes this difficult to do).
- Spread pizza sauce (or sauce of choice) evenly across the pizza, leaving 1cm at the edge.
- Sprinkle with cheese
- Add Toppings
- Bake until the cheese is bubbly and golden and the base is crisp (around 10 mins)
Tortilla Pizza Topping Ideas
Toppings are great, but tortilla pizzas are very thin and so can’t hold an abundance. Too many toppings can result in an unevenly cooked pizza, with an overcooked or burnt crust and undercooked toppings.
For this reason, I recommend pre-cooking (most) toppings and making sure you thinly slice. Some suggestions include
- Tomatoes (sliced),
- Roasted vegetables (peppers/capsicum, asparagus, onion, snow peas, sweet potato),
- Olives (sliced),
- Mushrooms (sliced & sauteed),
- Spinach (wilted),
- Zucchini (ribboned),
- Pineapple (small chunks),
- Cooked meat (shredded chicken etc)
In this recipe, I used Pizza Sauce but if you don’t have any to hand, or want to experiment with different flavours, why not try
- Tomato paste,
- White pizza sauce,
- Olive oil & garlic
I used mozzarella but you can use a cheese of choice or a mixture of cheese varieties.
Cooking with Kids
Tortilla pizzas are great for getting children of all ages involved in the kitchen. Easy tasks (spreading, sprinkling, topping) are perfect for younger children and older children can be given more responsibility (by helping to make pizza sauce, grate cheese, prep vegetables etc)
Homemade pizzas are a great way to encourage children to experiment with flavours. Set up a bar with a range of topping ideas (suggestions given above) and allow your children to get creative.
- They could split their pizza into four sections and try a different vegetable/flavour combo on each quarter.
- Every family member could make their own pizza and share a slice with each other. They can then vote to which pizza was best (voting on appearance, taste, etc).
You May Also Like
Looking for more healthy kid recipes?Sign up for my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more kind-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
- 1 Tortilla Wrap
- 60ml (1/4 cup) Pizza Sauce * SEE NOTES FOR ALTERNATIVES
- 35g (1/3 cup) Cheese, grated
- Toppings * SEE NOTES FOR SUGGESTIONS
- Preheat oven to 200C / 400F
- Place the tortilla wrap in a pizza tray, baking sheet or large cast-iron skillet.
- Spread the sauce evenly across the tortilla, leaving 1cm around the edges. Sprinkle with the cheese and add toppings.
- Bake until the cheese is bubbly and golden and the base is crisp, around 10 mins. Cut into triangle and allow to cool slightly before serving