Curried Eggs – Hard Boiled Eggs in a Simple Curry Sauce.
Sauces, packed with flavour, are my key to success when it comes to meal times. Although Finn (5) eats pretty much everything, Rory (2) can be fussier. However, usually if a meal is served in some kind of sauce then it is pretty much guaranteed to be eaten. These curried eggs are no exception.
Curry is a popular meal in our house and I put it down to all the flavours. When I started the boys on solids I made sure to add lots of herbs and spices to their food. They are, therefore, both used to a variety of flavours and actively seek them out.
I always encourage parents who are just about to start weaning their babies, either by purees or baby led, to experiment with flavour. It is a good idea to introduce babies to a range of flavours; they will get used to them and it is less challenging than trying to do it at a later age when they can be more afraid to experiment with taste.
If your kids have never tried curry before, I have a recipe for fruity chicken curry that is a great first curry for kids. The added fruit in the curry makes it super kid-friendly. This recipe for curried eggs though is also very mild and easy on the palate for novice curry eaters.
If serving this to under ones or young toddlers then make sure to look at the curry powder you buy. A lot of curry powders have a high salt content so look for a low salt variety. I have found this in health food stores.
I added a chopped date to this curry as I felt the tomatoes were a little on the acidic side. I feel the date worked perfectly with the spices and is a lovely addition to the sauce. This is delicious served with rice. I cooked the rice with a little mustard seeds and some fennel seeds and this added another delicious burst of flavour.
You May Also Like
Have you tried this recipe? I love receiving your feedback, please rate and leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @healthylittlefoodies
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion (halved and finely sliced)
- 2 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1 celery stalk (finely chopped)
- 1 1/4 cup (310ml) Vegetable (or chicken) stock
- 1 410 g can crushed tomatoes
- 1 finely chopped date
- 6 eggs
- Heat oil over a medium/ high heat in a saucepan. Reduce to a medium / low heat and add the onion. Fry for one min before adding the curry powder. Fry for another minute and then add the pepper & celery. Fry until softened (for around another minute.)
- Add 1/2 cup of stock and stir.
- Add the tin of tomatoes and then the remaining stock and chopped date.
- Simmer, over a low heat, for approx. 20 mins.
- While the sauce is cooking, hard boil the eggs. Peel and cut in half.
- Once the sauce is cooked, add the eggs and serve.
Nutrition information is an ESTIMATE, calculated using an online nutrition calculator. The information is for a portion of the curry only (does not include the rice)