Mexican Lentil Bake, fantastic as part of a main meal or to pop into a lunch box.
When Rory first started solids I developed a lot of recipes that made doing BLW (baby led weaning) easier when out and about. Although he ate what we ate at home, I often found it difficult to find something to order for him when we were at a restaurant. I wanted healthy, finger foods that limited mess and that would taste great hot or cold. Fast forward a couple of years and I am now revisiting all these recipes again but this time for packing into Finn’s school lunch box.
One recipe that I like to make a lot is my curried lentil bake. I like it because I can make it and serve it with a salad / vegetables in the evening and then pack the left overs in the pack lunch box. I recently received a comment from a reader (Hi Amanda, if you are reading) who had said that she loves lentil bakes and would like to see some more variations on the blog. She suggested a Mexican version and a Kale and Mushroom version. I loved the sound of a Mexican Lentil Bake so here it is!
I kept the base recipe the same but replaced the curry powder with smoked paprika, cumin, oregano and fresh corriander (cilantro). Instead of the carrot I added red pepper and replaced the potato with kidney beans.
Mexican Lentil Bake
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 red onion (finely chopped)
- 1 celery stalk (finely chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 red bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cups stock
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup red split lentils
- 1 410g can kidney beans (drained)
- 3 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1/3 Packed Cup 40g grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander (cilantro)
- Pre heat oven to 180C/350F/Gas4
- Heat oil in pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery and pepper then reduce the heat to low and cook for approx. 10 mins (until softened.)
- Add the smoked paprika, cumin and oregano and cook for a further minute
Add the lentils, puree and stock, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low. Allow to simmer until cooked (lentils soft and stock absorbed) (approx. 20 mins)
- Once lentils are cooked, allow to cool slightly then add the kidney beans, eggs, cheese and corriander. Stir until combined.
- Place the mixture in a greased, ovenproof dish (mine was 10" x 7.5")
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 mins or until set and golden (mine took 35 mins) but timings will vary with ovens.
- Slice and serve.