Fish fingers are a great way to get kids to eat fish. The crispy coating oozes kid appeal and adding a dip further heightens its attraction. Commercially bought fish fingers may be a quick and easy option but making your own not only tastes better, it allows you to know exactly what you are eating and provides a great opportunity to get your kids in the kitchen.
Cooking with kids isn’t always easy and it is often simpler just to cook alone. However, I do feel that it is such an important part of encouraging and developing adventurous and healthy eating habits. I love recipes, like these fish fingers, that involve dipping and coating. I can give both boys a job and it actually helps me out. With one boy coating in flour, the other dipping in the egg it means I can dip in the breadcrumbs without having clumps of the mixture on my fingers! If your kids love helping with this kind of task too, then check out my Coconut Chicken Tenders or Bubble and Squeak Cakes which both have similar processes.
I swear that if I add a dip to a meal that it will get eaten with great enthusiasm. Both my boys love to dip as I am sure a lot of kids do. Luckily they aren’t fussy with what type of dip it is so I find it a great way to actually add nutrition to a meal. This avocado dip is creamy with a hint of lemon and compliments the fish perfectly.
You May Also Like
Have you tried this recipe? I love to read your feedback, please rate and leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @healthylittlefoodies
Looking for more healthy kid recipes?Sign up for my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more kind-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Fish Fingers with an Avocado Dip
- 150g (1 1/2 cups) Fine bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp Chopped parsley
- 1.5 tsp Lemon Zest
- 50g (1/3 cup) Flour
- 2 Eggs whisked
- 600g Firm white fish fillet (I used flathead) cut into strips
- 2 Avocados
- 60ml (1/4 cup) Lemon juice (juice of 1 large lemon)
- 60ml (1/4 cup) Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Chopped parsley
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Mix the breadcrumbs, parsley and lemon zest together and place in a shallow bowl / plate.
- Place the flour and egg in two separate shallow bowls
- Dip the fish in the flour, then dip into the egg, then coat in breadcrumbs
- Heat half the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add half* the fish to the pan and cook the fish approx 2-3 mins, turning until cooked through. Repeat with the remaining oil and fish.
- Serve straight away with the avocado dip.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor / blender and mix until smooth and creamy. Season to taste**
- * Depending on your pan size you may need to do this in 2,3 or 4 batches. Try not to overcrowd the pan
- ** A don't normally add salt to my recipes so that babies can enjoy them too. I do feel this dip needs the salt to bring out the flavours. Do not add if serving a baby