Carrots are a high source of beta-carotene which becomes vitamin A when absorbed by the intestine cells. It is important for eye sight, growth and skin health. Carrots also contain other vitamins and are a great source of fibre.
Carrots have a higher natural sugar content than any other vegetable and I think that this is why they are a popular choice for kids. The sweetness of the carrots combined with the juice of the orange makes this a healthy, delicious soup for children and the whole family.
Carrot and Orange Soup
- 15 g butter
- 1 onion - finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves - crushed
- 8 medium to large carrots - chopped
- zest of 1 orange
- 1.5 litres of chicken or vegetable stock
- juice of 1 orange
- Heat the butter in a pan and gently fry the onions and garlic for about 10 minutes (until very soft.)
- Add the carrots and orange zest, stir and fry for a few minutes.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil and allow to simmer (lid on) for approx. 30 mins.
- Blend and then add the orange juice.