Blended Berry Overnight Oats – A perfectly balanced kids’ breakfast that is deliciously smooth and creamy.
My boys have become a bit obsessed with smoothies in the morning. If they were to get to choose their breakfast, then smoothies would always come out on top (closely followed by pancakes).
I love how easy smoothies are to prepare and how great they are for sneaking in veggies and other nutrient dense food. I also often add oats to make them filling and deliciously thick & creamy.
I have always liked the idea of overnight oats, and although the boys like them, I really struggle to eat them. I’m not keen on milky products and I think that is my main problem. The other day, when I was making an oat smoothie, the idea of blending overnight oats came to me. I blended oats with milk, banana, berries, ground almonds and chia seeds. I then popped the mixture into a couple of jars and refrigerated overnight. The result was a delicious, thick, pudding like smoothie. I topped it with a good spoonful of peanut butter and some fresh fruit.
Blended Berry Overnight Oats
- 1/2 cup (55g) frozen raspberries
- 1/2 cup (60g) frozen blueberries
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup (55g) rolled oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp ground almonds
- 3/4 cup (185ml) milk
- (Optional - Nut butter and fresh berries to top)
- Add all the ingredients to a high speed blender and blitz until smooth.
- Pour into two jars, cover and refrigerate over night.
- When ready to eat top each jar with a spoonful of peanut butter and some fresh berries.
I used frozen berries due to cost and convenience but fresh will work well too.
Reduce the amount of milk if you want a thicker breakfast
This was enough to serve my two boys (5 & 2) but they both have hearty appetites.