When Finn was a baby I used to roast butternut squash and mash it together with some apple puree. Now that he is older he enjoys the same flavours in this delicious soup.
Butternut squash is a great source of vitamin A and C. Vitamin A is important for growth and development, tissue and bone repair and for healthy skin and eyes. Vitamin C promotes healthy skin and muscles. Squash is also a good source of potassium which is important for bone health.
Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
- 20 g butter
- 1 celery stalk - finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves - finely chopped
- 2 carrots- finely chopped
- 1 onion - finely chopped
- 1 granny smith apple -peeled and chopped
- 1 butternut squash - peeled and chopped
- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken or vegetable soup
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Cook on a low heat for 10 mins (until the veg starts to soften)
- Add the squash, apple and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 30 mins. (until vegetables are tender)
- Blend and serve