I never liked courgettes (zucchini) as a kid, I think it was mainly to do with its texture. Despite loathing courgettes I did love this Courgette Soup that my Granny used to make all the time. Her neighbour was always giving her bags of courgettes and she was always cooking and freezing large batches of this soup. Most times that I visited my Granny and Granda I was served a plate of this delicious soup.
Courgettes are a good source of immune boosting Vitamin C and lutein which promotes healthy eye site. Its peel (which is blitzed into the soup) is a good source of dietary fibre which will help if your little one is suffering from constipation.
Courgette (zucchini) soup
- 30 g (around 1oz) Butter
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 4/5 courgettes (zucchinis) sliced
- 1 litre (4 cups) homemade (or low salt) vegetable stock
- Melt butter, over a medium heat, in a large pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook for approx. 5 mins.
- Add the courgettes, reduce the heat and allow to vegetables to sweat for 10 mins (lid on)
- Add the stock and simmer for 25 mins.
- Blend together.
Delicious served with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.