Deliciously creamy, nutritious and easy to make. There is a lot to love about this Cauliflower Cheese Soup.
Why This Cauliflower Soup Recipe is Great for Families
- Veggie Goodness: You have got to love soup for packing in the vegetables!
- Convenient: Use fresh or frozen cauliflower.
- Stores Well: Can be refrigerated or frozen meaning you can have it prepared in advance for busy weekdays.
What You Need
- Butter, onion, celery and garlic for the flavour base of the soup
- Cauliflower Florets – You can use fresh or frozen
- Potato – Helps to thicken and make it creamy
- Stock – For simmering, you can use chicken or vegetable. If cooking for a baby use homemade or low sodium stock.
- Dijon Mustard adds flavour (can be missed if preferred)
- Cheese – Mature (sharp) cheddar is perfect for this soup due to its high moisture and low melting point. Gruyere and Swiss will also work. The cheese should be grated to stop it clumping. Pre-shredded cheeses can contain stabilizers that make them harder to melt so freshly grated is always best.
How to Make Cauliflower Cheese Soup.
This cauliflower cheese soup, like many soups, requires very little labour. (Perfect for busy parents!)
A bit of time is needed at the start, to sautee the onion, celery and garlic, but then it is really just a case of throwing the ingredients in and letting it simmer away.
Once the potatoes and cauliflower are tender, the soup can be removed from the heat and blended until smooth. The final step involves stirring through the cheese until melted.
A little extra cheese can be grated or reserved, to add as a topping for the soup. Most kids love cheese and this will encourage them to get stuck in!
Serve with something to dip – crusty bread, oatcakes or toast fingers.
- Refrigerate: Allow to cool, transfer to an airtight container and store for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: Allow to cool, transfer to airtight containers and freeze for up to 3 months.
More Kid-Friendly Soup Recipes
Looking for more healthy kid recipes?Sign up for my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more kind-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Cauliflower Cheese Soup
- Large Soup Pan
- Immersion Blender (Stick Blender)
- 15g (1 tbsp) Butter
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1 Celery Stick finely chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves finely chopped
- 600g (1.3lb) Cauliflower Florets (from 1 medium cauliflower)
- 1 Medium Potato Peeled and chopped into 2cm cubes
- 1 litre (4 cups) Vegetable / Chicken Stock
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 100g (1 cup) Extra Mature (sharp) Cheddar Cheese Grated
- Melt the butter, in a large pan, over medium heat. Add the onion,celery and garlic and saute for around 6 mins.
- Add the cauliflower, potato and stock. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the potato and cauliflower is soft.
- Turn the heat off, add the mustard and using a stick (immersion) blender, blitz until smooth.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted.
- Taste and season (do not season if serving a baby)