Loaded with veggies and fun to eat, these cauliflower tots are a great snack, side or part of a main meal.
Reasons to Love These Cauliflower Tots
- VEGGIE PACKED: These tots are not only packed with cauliflower but also contain carrot, spring onion and red bell pepper.
- FINGER FOOD: Because most kids love finger foods.
- FREEZABLE: Make a freezer stash for those busy days/evenings.
Watch the Video
Ingredient Information (and alternatives)
- CAULIFLOWER: The bulk of the tots.
- OTHER VEG: Spring onion, carrot and bell pepper. Adds flavour and extra nutrients. You can miss out if you prefer.
- EGGS: Used to bind the tots together. I have not tested any egg alternatives.
- BREADCRUMBS: I used panko but you can use any breadcrumb. They help with keeping the tots together and to give the tots a light texture. If you are looking to make them gluten free then you can replace with almond flour. I have not tested it in this recipe but have made broccoli tots using almond meal and it worked really well.
- CHEESE: Added for flavour. If you want to make the tots dairy free then you can omit but you will probably want to add some extra flavour through herbs or / and a little garlic/onion powder. (Not tested, suggestions only).
- PARSLEY: For flavour (and nutrients), can be skipped if preferred.
Process Shots & Cooking Tips
- STEAM CARROTS for around 3 minutes. Carrots take longer to cook than cauliflower so I usually cook them for an extra few minutes. If you cut them really small (as pictured) you can probably get away with skipping this step.
- ADD CAULIFLOWER and steam for a further 5-9 minutes (or until fork tender). This timing will depend on the size of your florets and the surface area of your steamer basket. If you are not able to steam you can alternatively boil. Make sure to drain really well and pat dry. You don’t want any extra moisture in the carrots and cauliflower or the tots will be too soft.
- PROCESS Allow the vegetables to cool and add to a food processor. Pulse until a rice consistency. You need to be careful here, you don’t want to over blend or it will become mush.
- PROCESS Add the spring onion and pepper then pulse again until combined.
- MIX Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl along with the cheese, eggs, parsley and breadcrumbs. Mix until combined.
- FORM TOTS Scoop a heaped tablespoon of the cauliflower mixture and form into a tot or ball. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- REFRIGERATOR: Allow to cool. Store leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to two days.
- FREEZER: Once the cauliflower tots are cool, place them on a baking tray until solid. Transfer to a zip lock bag, or freezable container, and store for up to 2 months.
- REHEAT: To reheat, place the tots on a baking sheet and bake/grill (broil) until heated throughout and crispy on the outside.
Is your child learning to love cauliflower? Here are some other recipes you may wish to try…
Looking for more healthy kid recipes?Sign up for my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more kind-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
- Food Processor
- 550g (1 small head) Cauliflower ,cut into cauliflower florets
- 220g (2 small) Carrots ,chopped roughly into 1½-2cm (½-1inch) pieces
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper (capsicum) ,finely chopped
- 2 Spring onions (salad / green onion) ,finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Flat Leaf parsley ,finely chopped
- 75g / ¾ Cup Cheddar Cheese ,grated
- 20g / ¼ Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Eggs ,beaten
- 60g / 1 Cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 190c / 375f. Line a baking tray with baking/parchment paper.
- Steam carrots for 3 minutes. Add the cauliflower and steam for a further 5-9 minutes. (Until fork tender)
- Drain and rinse the cauliflower and carrots with cold water. Pat dry and add to a food processor. Pulse until uniformly chopped (you don't want to over pulse) Add the pepper and spring onion and pulse until combined.
- Add the cauliflower mixture to a large mixing bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Lightly stir until combined.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the mixture into your hand and roll into a tot shape. Repeat until all the mixture is used up. (It should make around 33 tots).
- Place on the prepared baking tray and spray with oil (optional), bake for 20 – 25 mins.
This cauliflower tot recipe was first published May 2017. It has been updated Sep 6 2021 to include new photos, process shots and a video. The recipe has changed slightly (ingredient amounts), if you would like the original then please email me and I can send you a copy.