Quinoa is fast becoming known as one of the healthiest grains (or technically seed) available. This super food is a complex carbohydrate with a low glycemic index. It is packed full of essential vitamins and minerals, is a rich source of protein and is high in fibre.
I made this spanish style quinoa in a similar way to how I’d make a paella but substituted the rice for quinoa. I used a paella pan but if you don’t have one a large frying pan will work.
Spanish Style Quinoa
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion - finely chopped
- 1 yellow / red pepper - roughly chopped into chunks
- 2 cloves garlic - crushed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 200 g (half a tin) chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups (750ml) boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 15 tiger prawns (shrimp)
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 1 lemon
- Heat oil in a paella pan (or large frying pan) and add the onion and pepper. Gently fry over a medium heat for approx. 5 minutes (until the onion has started to turn brown at the edges)
- Add garlic and smoked paprika and fry for a further minute.
- Add the tomatoes and water and bring to the boil.
- Add the quinoa and simmer for 10 minutes (stirring occasionally)
- After the 10 minutes, add the prawns and peas to the pan.
- Simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Cover with a dishcloth and allow to sit for 2 minutes.
- Add the juice of one lemon, stir and serve.