Beef burgers with hidden veggies – serve with more vegetables to turn this kid favourite dish into something healthier.
Moving to Australia has dramatically changed our lives, the main change being how much of our time is spent outdoors. Days are packed with park visits, beach visits, walks or lazy days in the garden. With this shift in lifestyle, our eating/cooking habits have changed quite a bit too. We have more picnics and definitely eat more BBQs.
We have been trying to experiment with the foods we cook on the BBQ and experiment with a range of different meats, fish/seafood and lots of different veggies. Despite this, the boys still request burgers nearly every time we mention the word BBQ. So, in an attempt to make it a little healthier, I have started grating different veggies and mixing them into the burger mix to make these hidden veggies beef burgers. Of course, you don’t need to make these on the BBQ, they are great in a frying pan too.
Although I don’t really believe in hiding veggies I do love that these burgers have veggies that go unnoticed meaning I can them with a sides of vegetables for an extra veggie hit. These burgers contain zucchini (courgette), onion and carrots and I usually serve them along with a side salad or in a bun packed with other delicious vegetables. Pictured, I served the burgers in a bun spread with avocado and topped with lettuce, tomato and beetroot. To add a further veggie hit I served them with some carrot and sweet potato fries.
You May Also Like
Have you tried this recipe? I love receiving your feedback, please rate and leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @healthylittlefoodies
Looking for more healthy kid recipes?Sign up for my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more kind-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Hidden Veggies Beef Burgers
- 500g (1.1lb) Steak / Beef mince (ground beef)
- 1 small onion (grated)
- 1 carrot
- 1 zucchini (courgette)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- Grate the onion, carrot and zucchini and squeeze as much liquid out as possible (I placed the grated vegetables in a clean cloth to squeeze)
- Place all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix until just combined.
- Divide the mixture into 6 and flatten to make burgers slightly bigger than your burger buns. (As they will shrink slightly when you cook)
- Place an indent in the centre of each burger using your thumb. (This stops the burger from doming and shrinking)
- Cook on a BBQ or place in a frying pan. Cook for 3/4 mins on one side (until the bottom is nicely browned. Flip and cook for a further 2/3 mins until cooked through.Serve straight away