I’ve mentioned before that Finn can sometimes find the texture of chicken difficult to eat. I think this may be because I use the breast meat a lot and as it is so lean it can be dry. I thought I’d try mincing the chicken and adding natural peanut butter and lime juice to make it more moist and easier for Finn to eat. The milk soaked breadcrumbs really makes the mixture much more free and produces a lighter, more tender burger. I formed the mixture into patties and browned them before cooking them in the oven.
Chicken Satay Burgers
- 540 g Chicken Breasts - chopped into chunks
- 40 g of fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs (1 slice)
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 small carrot - grated
- 2 cloves garlic - crushed
- 2 tsp chopped ginger
- 1 red chilli - de seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- Juice of 1 lime
- Zest of half a lime
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander (cilantro)
- Pre heat oven to 200c / 400f / Gas 6
- Soak the breadcrumbs in the milk and set aside.
- Put the chicken into a food processor and pulse until minced.
- Add all the other ingredients and continue to pulse until the ingredients are combined.
- Mix through the breadcrumbs
- Form burgers (mine were around 5cm in diameter and made 16 burgers)
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a frying pan and brown the burgers on both sides.
- Place on a baking tray and place in oven for 10 minutes (until cooked in the middle and reaching an internal temp of 90c)