Bubble and Squeak Cakes – Delicious cakes made from mashed potato and cabbage.
Bubble and Squeak Cakes – I’m guessing quite a few of you will be wondering what on earth this is about! Bubble and Squeak is a traditional English dish comprising of leftover potato and cabbage, usually from the Sunday roast dinner, shallow fried and served perhaps with some egg or bacon the next day. It is really tasty and a great way of combatting waste.
I devised this cake version when Rory was younger and he found finger foods easier to deal with. I think the cake form is more kid friendly and I’m pretty sure most kids wouldn’t even know that there is cabbage in these.
Once these cakes are formed they can be individually frozen on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Once frozen they can be stored in a freezer bag or box and brought out when time is short and a quick dinner is needed.
These have proven to be so successful in our house that we don’t always wait until we have leftovers to make them. I have detailed, in the recipe, the quantities for both leftovers and starting from scratch.
Bubble and Squeak Cakes
- 280 g of raw cabbage (or 2 cups of cooked cabbage)
- 525 g raw potato (peeled and diced) (or 3 cups of cooked mashed potato)
- 20 g butter (melted) (not needed if potato already mashed)
- 30 ml warm milk (not needed if potato already mashed)
- 1 tbsp mild dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 1 beaten egg
- Crumb coating
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- Oil for frying
- Finely shred cabbage and boil for 10 mins
- Boil potatoes until tender
- Mash potatoes and add milk and butter.
- Mix cabbage and potato and add mustard, cheese and beaten egg
- Leave mixture until it is cool enough to handle and then form into 12 cakes.
- Dip each cake into the flour, then egg and then bread crumbs.
- When all cakes are crumbed then place in the refrigerator for at least 30 mins
- Just before serving, heat oil in a wide based frying pan and gently place cakes into the hot oil. Fry for 3 mins on each side on a moderate heat.
- Drain on Kitchen paper and serve.