The natural sweetness of carrots, paired with a sweet honey glaze, makes these Honey Roasted Carrots irresistible to kids and adults alike.
I'm always saying that roasting is the most kid-friendly way to prepare vegetables. The roasting mellows the flavour and helps to release the natural sugars.
Carrots are one of the sweetest vegetables out there, which make them perfect for roasting. They are delicious roasted with just a touch of olive oil and some fresh herbs but are taken to a whole new, kid-friendly, level when baked with honey too.
Make sure you cook plenty of them, I often find that by the time they reach the table over half of them have disappeared! They are just that good!
Why Honey Roasted Carrots are a Great Family Side Dish
- Versatile: Roasted carrots are a fantastic weeknight side dish, but are also good enough to add to your Thanksgiving or Christmas table.
- Easy: Very little prep work is required and then the oven does the rest of the work for you.
- Great for Picky Eaters: The sweetness of this side dish makes it very appealing to kids. Finding one way for children to enjoy a vegetable can be a stepping stone to them enjoying the same vegetable in many different ways.
Honey Roasted Carrots Ingredients (& alternative suggestions)
- Carrots: You can use any variety of carrots for this recipe.
- Olive Oil: If you prefer you can replace the olive oil with melted butter.
- Honey: If you are looking for a vegan-friendly option you can replace with maple syrup. Please note that honey should not be consumed by under 1s. This is due to the fact honey may contain spores of bacteria that can cause botulism.
- Garlic: Optional, if you aren't a fan then just miss it out.
- Ginger: Again, ginger is optional and can be omitted if prefered.
How to Roast Carrots
- Peel: I recommend peeling carrots when roasting them. It only takes an extra minute, or two, but is time well spent for the best flavour and texture. However, it is not necessary and is a personal preference. Just make sure they are washed and scrubbed clean to remove any dirt.
- Chop: If the carrots are thick, cut them in half lengthwise; if not, leave whole. (I generally slice off the thinner end of a carrot and then cut the main part in half lengthwise.) Slice the carrots diagonally in approx 3cm (1 inch) thick slices.
- Toss: In a large mixing bowl add the olive oil, honey, ginger and garlic and mix until combined. Add the carrots and toss them in the honey/oil marinade.
- Bake: Transfer the carrots to a baking tray (sheet pan) in 1 layer, drizzle with a little of the remaining marinade and roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until slightly browned and tender.
- Cut the carrots evenly: For even cooking you want to make sure your carrot pieces are roughly the same size.
- Oven Temperature: The honey really heats up during baking. Make sure to check once or twice so it doesn't burn the carrots. I find 200c (400F) the perfect temperature for my oven, any higher and I end up with burnt carrots and a baking tray that is a nightmare to clean! Temperatures vary from oven to oven so just keep checking on them and adjust as needed.
- Flip carrots halfway: When you are checking on the carrots I recommend flipping them, halfway through the cooking time, to ensure caramelisation on both sides.
- Give your carrots space: Don't be tempted to overcrowd your baking tray (sheet pan), if you try to add too many they will end up steaming instead of roasting. Space will allow the carrots to roast for maximum flavour and texture.
Prepare / Cook in Advance
You can peel and slice the carrots in advance. Store the prepared carrots in a bowl of water and refrigerator until you’re ready to roast them. Drain and pat dry before coating in the honey oil dressing.
We love snacking on these carrots cold. Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for 2-3 days.
You may also like
Looking for more healthy kid recipes?Sign up for my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more kid-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Honey Roasted Carrots
- Baking Tray (sheet)
- Mixing Bowl
- 1 kg (2lbs) Carrots
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoon Honey
- ½ teaspoon Garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon Ginger, minced
- Pre-heat oven to 200c / 400f
- Peel the carrots. If the carrots are thick, cut them in half lengthwise; if not, leave whole. Slice the carrots diagonally in 3-4 cm (1 ½-inch) thick slices.
- In a large mixing bowl add the olive oil, honey, ginger and garlic and mix until combined. Add the carrots and toss them in the honey/oil marinade.
- Transfer the carrots to a baking tray (sheet pan) in 1 layer, drizzle with a little of the remaining marinade and roast in the oven for 20 minutes, until browned and tender.
- Drizzle over the remaining marinade and toss with freshly topped parsley. Serve.