I love baked apples with cinnamon at this time of the year and I adore the aromas that fill the house as you cook them. These may not be as sweet as other baked apple recipes, as they are not loaded with refined sugar, but the fruit sugars are definitely enough to curb a sweet craving. Why not try serving it with some healthy ice cream.
This recipe can easily be adapted – just experiment with different dried fruits, try adding some chopped nuts or some orange peel. I’m a big Pink Lady apple fan so this is what I usually use to make this. They are lovely and sweet and work well in this recipe.
- 3 apples (I used pink ladies)
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- Pre heat oven to 200c /400f /gas 6
- Using a corer core both apples
- Mix the oats, raisins, cinnamon, ginger and milk together in a bowl.
- Stuff the apples with the mixture.
- Place on an oven proof dish and bake for approx. 20 mins. (until golden and soft)
Why not try adding chopped nuts for crunch or switch the raisins for a different dried fruit.