Veggie Chickpea Sticks – Chickpeas, veggies, chia seeds and cheese made into a delicious finger food that is great for kids of all ages.
Earlier this week I shared the recipe for my Fruity Chickpea Cookies and it was actually those cookies that were the inspiration behind these Veggie Chickpea Sticks. While I was developing the recipe for the former, I just knew that they could also be developed into a savoury version.
It is hard to decide which I prefer, the sweet or savoury variant. I guess it depends on what mood I am in. I’d say the boys like the sweet version better but are more than happy to munch down several of these veggie chickpea sticks in one sitting. I even popped a few in Finn’s lunch box this week, I took them out of the freezer the night before and he was happy to eat them cold, along with a yoghurt dip.
They are very soft in texture and would make a great finger food for toddlers and babies. If you wanted to reduce the sodium level, for younger babies, you could reduce the cheese. You could even add some oats (like in the fruity cookies) before blending.
Veggie Chickpea Sticks
- 55 g (1/2 cup) grated carrots
- 2 tbsp Chia Seeds
- 400 g can Chickpeas (drained and washed)
- 1/2 red pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp cream cheese
- 60 g (1/2 cup) grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 handful of spinach leaves (chopped)
- 60 g (1/2 cup) frozen peas
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp mixed dried herbs
- Pre heat oven to 180c / 350F / Gas 4 and prepare two baking trays with baking baper / reusable baking sheets.
- Squeeze as much liquid out of the carrots as possible. Reserve the carrot juice and add water to it to make it up to 80ml (1/3 cup) of liquid in total.
- Mix the chia seeds and carrot juice mixture together and set aside.
- Add all other ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth. Add the chia seed mixture and pulse until mixed together.
- Take approx a 3/4 tablespoon of the mixture and form into a finger shape (alternatively you could make cookie shape or nuggets) Repeat until the mixture has finished.
- Bake in the oven for 15 mins.