Today we turned our fruit snack into a healthy candy cane. This was a nice little Christmas themed activity to to with Finn. Not only did he enjoy helping me chop the banana and sticking them onto the chopped strawberries, he also got a mini maths lesson. We counted the banana pieces and then the strawberry pieces before sticking them together following the strawberry /banana pattern. Patterns, numbers and healthy eating all rolled into one tasty snack!
Simply slice a banana and several strawberries and place together to form candy cane stripes. Cut the fruit on a wedge to form the curve.
Healthy Candy Cane
- 1 banana
- 8 strawberries (approx.)
- Slice the banana approx. 1- 1.5cm thick
- Slice the top of the strawberry off and then slice the widest part of the strawberry approx. 1- 1.5cm thick
- Place the strawberries and bananas together to represent a candy cane (see pic)
- (On the bend you may wish to slice the strawberry / banana at an angle.)
- Use the end of the banana for the bottom of the cane curve. (see pic)