Enjoy the vibrant colour and sweet taste of this spinach pear smoothie. Creamy banana, zingy ginger and sweet cinnamon pair perfectly with pear and spinach to produce an irresistible green smoothie.
Reasons to Love this Smoothie
- NUTRITION – Packed with fruit and vegetables for fibre, vitamins and minerals and combined with greek yogurt and milk for extra protein.
- EASY – Simple ingredients blended together in under 5 mins. Great for getting the kids into the kitchen.
- DELICIOUS – Sweet and creamy with incredible flavour, this smoothie is sure to be a hit with the whole family.
Watch How to Make It (Video)
Ingredient Information (and Alternative Suggestions)
This section gives more information on the ingredients and suggests alternatives where possible. For the full recipe, with ingredient amounts, scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Pick your favourite variety but try to use ripe pears to maximise the sweet pear flavour in your smoothie.
Gives the smoothie the vibrant green colour and adds nutrition. The sweetness of the banana & pear, along with the zingy ginger means that you won’t detect the spinach. If you wish you can skip it or replace with a different green, suitable for smoothies, such as collard greens, Swiss chard or kale.
- FROZEN BANANA
Banana adds sweetness and using frozen banana will give the smoothie a lovely thick and creamy texture.
If you don’t have any fresh ginger or ginger puree try adding a 1/4 tsp of ground ginger. If you don’t love ginger then skip or try subbing it with 1/4tsp of cardamom as a lovely alternative.
Adds an element of sweetness and combines great with pear. Skip if you wish.
- GREEK YOGURT
Added for creaminess and extra protein. Can be skipped and replaced with a little extra milk.
Works with dairy or non-dairy milk. Use your favourite milk or what you have available. If you are looking for a higher protein content just remember that the different milk types have different amounts of protein. Dairy has a higher protein content and oat milk is a good dairy-free alternative.
- CHIA SEEDS
Adds nutrition and thickens the smoothie. Skip if you wish or replace with flax seed.
How to Make It (Process Shots)
- Place all ingredients in a blender. Add the liquid first to help with blending
- Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust if necessary
- Use the right equipment
A high-speed blender is needed to work with the frozen banana and to fully blend the spinach. If you don’t have a powerful blender then you may want to use fresh or semi-frozen banana so it will blend better (the smoothie won’t be as thick and creamy). You will also have to be happy with small flecks of spinach.
- Stagger the Spinach
Depending on the size of your blender you may have to add the spinach in stages. For a smaller blender add about 1/4 of the spinach, blitz it and then added the remaining spinach before blending again.
- Ingredient Order
The order you add your ingredients can make a difference in how easily your smoothie will blend. You want the liquid and softer ingredients nearest the blade to prevent the frozen banana from getting stuck under the blade.
Serve this pear smoothie in an open cup/ glass, reusable pouch or in a bowl with some toppings (such as granola, sliced fruit, flax seed etc)
- Get the Kids Involved
Getting kids involved is a great way to encourage a more adventurous eater.
You May Also Like
- Beet and Berry Smoothie
- Green Smoothie Pancakes
- Green Smoothie
- Mango Pineapple Smoothie
- Banana Peach Smoothie
Have you tried this recipe? I love receiving your feedback, please rate and leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @healthylittlefoodies
Looking for more healthy kid recipes?Sign up for my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more kid-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Pear and Spinach Smoothie
- 1 High Speed Blender
- 1 large (or 2 small) Pear (seeded and diced) (around 255g chopped weight)
- 1 cup (45g) Spinach Leaves
- 1 cup (140g) Frozen Banana Slices (approx. 1 banana)
- ½ tsp Ginger Puree
- ¼ cup (60g) Greek Yogurt
- ½ cup (125ml) Milk (milk of choice)
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tbsp Chia Seeds
- Add all the ingredients to the blender (see note 1) and pulse to break up the ingredients. Start at a slow speed and gradually increase the speed to high. Blend on high until all ingredients are fully blended.
- Taste and adjust texture and taste if needed (add more milk if too thick, sweetener for sweetness etc)
- This recipe was originally published in October 2016. The post has been updated to include ingredient shots, process shots and an instructional video. The recipe has also been altered to add more protein by replacing the water with yogurt, milk and chia seeds. Banana has also replaced the dates. If you would like the original recipe please email me and I can send it to you.