Sweet and Sour Chicken sweetened only with pineapple juice.
Most kids seem to love sweet and sour chicken but unfortunately a lot of recipes have a lot of added refined sugar, or products that have a lot of added sugar in them (ketchups, jams.) Although this recipe is certainly not sugar free, it is sweetened using only the fruit sugars in pineapple juice.
There is a small amount of soy sauce in this recipe, try to use a low sodium variety. If making for a baby you can just miss it out all together, it still tastes great.
Why not buy some kids’ chop sticks. They are attached at the top to make it easier to operate and they will have a lot of fun using them!
Sweet and Sour Chicken (no refined sugars)
Sweet and sour chicken sweetened only with pineapple juice.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion (white, red or brown) - halved and finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves - minced
- 2 tsp ginger puree
- 475g (2 large) chicken breasts - chopped
- 2 capsicum peppers, deseeded and chopped into 1inch pieces (any colour)
- 1 carrot - peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 432g (drained 272g) Can of pineapple in natural juice - cut into chunks
- 1 tsp corn flour or arrowroot powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 125ml (1/2 cup) Juice from the can of pineapple
- 1 tbsp tomato puree (paste)
Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the onions and garlic and fry for approx. 2 minutes, until the onion turns translucent.
- Add the chicken and brown. Add the peppers, ginger and carrots and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine the sauce ingredients.
- Add the sauce to the pan, bring to the boil and then add the pineapple.
Delicious served with rice or noodles.
* Nutritional information is an estimate only, based on an online nutrition calculator.