I have a bit of a love/ hate relationship with these tiny balls of peanut butter, dates and crushed walnuts. I basically love anything with peanut butter but once I start eating them I really struggle to stop. Why is peanut butter so addictive? Finn seems to have the same peanut butter addiction to me, I need to keep these hidden from him and take them out one at a time. This recipe makes around 15 small balls (if you manage not to eat half the mixture before you have rolled the balls)
The balls, although high in calories, are a good balanced energy source that contain all three macronutrients (carbohydrates, proteins, fats) and are rich in vitamins and minerals.
I always use natural peanut butter (100% peanuts.) So many peanut butters on the market have added sugar and salt so make sure to check the labels.
Looking for more healthy kid recipes?Sign up for my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more kind-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
- 1/3 cup (40g) walnuts pieces
- 1/3 cup pitted dates (50g)
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp unsweetened desiccated coconut
- Place the walnuts in a food processor and blitz until they are finely crushed.
- Add the dates and peanut butter and continue to blend to a paste consistency.
- Roll into small balls and coat in the coconut.
- Place in the fridge to harden.