I have a bit of a love/ hate relationship with these tiny balls of peanut butter, dates and crushed walnuts. I basically love anything with peanut butter but once I start eating them I really struggle to stop. Why is peanut butter so addictive? Finn seems to have the same peanut butter addiction to me, I need to keep these hidden from him and take them out one at a time. This recipe makes around 15 small balls (if you manage not to eat half the mixture before you have rolled the balls)
The balls, although high in calories, are a good balanced energy source that contain all three macronutrients (carbohydrates, proteins, fats) and are rich in vitamins and minerals.
I always use natural peanut butter (100% peanuts.) So many peanut butters on the market have added sugar and salt so make sure to check the labels.
- 1/3 cup (40g) walnuts pieces
- 1/3 cup pitted dates (50g)
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp unsweetened desiccated coconut
- Place the walnuts in a food processor and blitz until they are finely crushed.
- Add the dates and peanut butter and continue to blend to a paste consistency.
- Roll into small balls and coat in the coconut.
- Place in the fridge to harden.