I first published the recipe for these Banana Blueberry Fritters back in 2014 but have now decided to update the post with some new photos and a slightly altered recipe.
Despite this having been a popular post on my blog, with many positive comments, I have also had some negative feedback. Many people felt the flour to banana ratio was wrong.
I think it really depends on the size of the bananas to how much flour you need. Personally, I find ¼ cup of flour works well but I have increased this to ¼ -½ cup following the feedback from readers.
I'd recommend trying a ¼ cup first and adding more flour if needed.
I used plain flour in the original recipe but have updated it to buckwheat flour. I have started using this flour a lot more in my cooking and really like it.
Buckwheat flour is gluten-free and I get so many requests for gluten-free recipes. It is an acquired taste so feel free to use plain flour.
I love these banana blueberry fritters and often make them as a dessert when I have overripe bananas to use up. With only three ingredients they are super easy and quick to make.
A lot of sweet fritter recipes contain added sugar but I feel the bananas provide enough sweetness and when the blueberries burst open they add a further sweet hit.
They definitely help with my sweet cravings and I struggle to stop Finn & Rory eating them all in one sitting!
You may also like
Have you tried this recipe? I love to receive your feedback, please rate and leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @healthylittlefoodies
Looking for more healthy kid recipes?Sign up for my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more kid-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Banana and Blueberry Fritters
- 2 ripe bananas
- ¼ - ½ cup buckwheat flour (or plain flour) *See note 1
- ¼ cup blueberries
- pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil for frying *See note 2
- Mash bananas and then stir in the flour and cinnamon.
- Add the blueberries and stir through.
- Heat a non stick frying pan on high and add the coconut oil.
- Reduce to a medium heat and spoon 1 tablespoon of batter into frying pan per fritter.
- Fry fritters until brown on both sides
- Remove fritters and allow to cool a little before serving.
Leave a Comment