I first published the recipe for these Banana Blueberry Fritters back in 2014 but have now decided to update the post with some new photos and a slightly altered recipe.
Despite this having been a popular post on my blog, with many positive comments, I have also had some negative feedback. Many people felt the flour to banana ratio was wrong.
I think it really depends on the size of the bananas to how much flour you need. Personally, I find ¼ cup of flour works well but I have increased this to ¼ -½ cup following the feedback from readers.
I'd recommend trying a ¼ cup first and adding more flour if needed.
I used plain flour in the original recipe but have updated it to buckwheat flour. I have started using this flour a lot more in my cooking and really like it.
Buckwheat flour is gluten-free and I get so many requests for gluten-free recipes. It is an acquired taste so feel free to use plain flour.
I love these banana blueberry fritters and often make them as a dessert when I have overripe bananas to use up. With only three ingredients they are super easy and quick to make.
A lot of sweet fritter recipes contain added sugar but I feel the bananas provide enough sweetness and when the blueberries burst open they add a further sweet hit.
They definitely help with my sweet cravings and I struggle to stop Finn & Rory eating them all in one sitting!
You may also like
Looking for more healthy kid recipes?Sign up for my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more kid-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Banana and Blueberry Fritters
- 2 ripe bananas
- ¼ - ½ cup buckwheat flour (or plain flour) *See note 1
- ¼ cup blueberries
- pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil for frying *See note 2
- Mash bananas and then stir in the flour and cinnamon.
- Add the blueberries and stir through.
- Heat a non stick frying pan on high and add the coconut oil.
- Reduce to a medium heat and spoon 1 tablespoon of batter into frying pan per fritter.
- Fry fritters until brown on both sides
- Remove fritters and allow to cool a little before serving.