This watermelon ice is the perfect healthy treat for summer. It has no added sugar and made with only two ingredients.
This refreshing snack is so easy to make and only contains two ingredients – watermelon and lime.
- Cut the watermelon into chunks and blend together with some lime juice and a little lime zest.
- Transfer the mixture into a shallow, freezable container then cover and freeze.
- Stir the mixture after a couple of hours and pop it back in the freezer
- Repeat in another two hours time.
It should be ready to serve after around six hours. The freezing time will depend on the size of the container you use. The picture below shows how my watermelon ice looked freshly blended, after two hours, four hours and finally six.
If your kids love snow cones then this is a fantastic healthy alternative. I find watermelon deliciously sweet and so felt there was no need to add a sweetener. I have seen a lot of recipes similar to this with added sugar but I really feel there is no need, especially when serving young children.
You May Also Like
Have you tried this recipe? I love receiving your feedback, please rate and leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @healthylittlefoodies
Looking for more healthy kid recipes?Sign up for my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more kind-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
- 1kg (around 1/2 watermelon) watermelon flesh (chopped)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Lime zest
- (I used the zest of half a lime because we like the taste of lime but you may not want to add as much)
- Place the watermelon, lime juice and zest into a food processor /blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a shallow, freezable container and place in freezer.
- After two hours, gently scrape the top layer with a spoon. Once you get to the unfrozen mixture pop it back in the freezer. Repeat after another 2 hours.
- Freeze until solid (around 6 hours depending on surface area of container)
- Scrape with a spoon and serve