Fruit and Nut Quinoa Bars – Quinoa mixed with dried fruit, banana and nuts then baked and cut into bars.
How your kids can help make Fruit and Nut Quinoa Bars
This a nice simple recipe with plenty tasks your kids can help out with. As the quinoa cooks you can give your child the task of mashing the banana and stirring in the peanut butter. (Finn loves mashing and getting the banana to go really gooey.) At this time the adult can finely chop the fruit, nuts and seeds.
Once the quinoa is cooked and cooled then your child can combine all the ingredients and taste test the product! They can then flatten out the mixture in a dish before it goes into the oven. I love watching the concentration on Finn’s face when he does this.
Looking for more healthy kid recipes?Sign up for my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more kind-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Fruit and Nut Quinoa Bars
- 2/3 cup quinoa
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 80 g chopped dates
- 80 g chopped apricots
- 70 g chopped walnuts
- 50 g chopped seed mix (I used sunflower and pumpkin 50:50)
- 40 g ground almonds
- 40 g unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 2 medium ripe banana
- 2 tbsp natural peanut butter
- Pre heat oven to 180c / 350f / gas 4
- Thoroughly rinse the quinoa. Add the quinoa and water to a pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 mins (until water absorbed.) Fluff with a fork and leave covered for a further 5 mins. Allow to cool.
- Add the chopped dates, apricots, walnuts & seeds to the quinoa together with the ground almonds and coconut.
- In a separate bowl mash the banana and stir in the peanut butter.
- Combine all ingredients
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and pour mixture into it. Press down the mixture and ensure the mixture is compacted. (I filled a 9" tray)
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until golden.
- Chill and cut into fingers squares.