Chicken Potato Bake – Chicken thighs cooked in a creamy sauce topped with peas and thinly sliced potatoes.
I just made this Chicken Potato Bake for the first time at the weekend. My Mum gave me the recipe as she thought it would be perfect for the blog. She has made it often and it has passed the fussy eating test with flying colours. My boys certainly loved it and I will definitely be making it again for them soon.
I like that you can have the dish prepared in the morning all ready to pop in the oven at dinner time. It is delicious served with a side of your favourite vegetables and a little crusty bread to soak up the yummy sauce.
You May Also Like
Have you tried this recipe? I love reading your feedback, please rate and leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @healthylittlefoodies
Chicken Potato Bake
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 600g boneless and skinless chicken thighs cut into bite size pieces
- 1 large Onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 50g (2.5 tbsp) butter (40g for sauce 10g for topping)
- 30g (1/4 cup) plain flour
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 500ml (2 cups) chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 60ml (1/4 cup) cream
- 75g (1/2 cup) frozen peas
- 400 g potatoes
- Pre heat oven to 200C / 400F / Gas 6
- Heat oil in a pan, over a high heat, and brown the chicken thighs. Remove from the pan and set aside
- Reduce to a low heat, add the onions and garlic and soften them in the chicken juices. (For around 5 mins) Remove from the pan and set aside with the chicken.
- Using the same pan melt 40g of the butter and add the flour and mustard powder to form a roux. Slowly add the stock a little at a time, stirring continuously, until the sauce is smooth. Simmer for 3 mins and then add the herbs.
- Put the chicken and onions back into the pan with the sauce, add the cream and stir.
- Pour the mixture into a oven proof dish (my dish was 10" X 7.5") and sprinkle over the peas.
- Peel and then thinly slice the potatoes. Arrange the slices over the chicken mixture (overlapping so the surface is completely covered.)
- Melt the remaining butter and brush over the potatoes
- Bake for 30-35 mins until the potatoes are cooked and crispy.
Nutritional information is a ROUGH guide only, calculated using an online nutrition calculator.