Christmas Apple and Peanut Butter Sandwiches are a healthy snack with a fun festive touch.
Apple and Peanut Butter sandwiches are one of Finn’s favourite snacks (and mine too!) We have them often and today we gave them a Christmas twist. These Christmas Apple and Peanut Butter Sandwiches are a delicious and healthy snack that are made festive by using Christmas cookie cutters.
This is the kind of snack I’d make and serve straight away. Once cut, apples can brown pretty quickly due to a large amount of the enzyme polyphenol oxidase. With the help of oxygen, enzymatic browning takes place which not only alters the appearance but also the flavour, texture and smell. Wow, I feel like I’m right back at Uni where I studied Food Science!
If you do wish to make these ahead of time, or perhaps serve at a Christmas Party then I suggest giving this great article “How to Stop Browning in Apple and Pears” from Serious Eats a read. It shows the results of using different methods to stop browning. According to the article, the best way is to soak your apples in a salt solution (1/2 tsp kosher salt dissolved in 1 cup of water) for 10 mins. You can then rise the apple slices and they should be good for a couple of hours.
You May Also Like
Have you this recipe? I love reading your feedback, please rate and leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @healthylittlefoodies
Looking for more healthy kid recipes?Sign up for my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more kind-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Christmas Apple and Peanut Butter Sandwiches
- 1 Apple
- 2 tbsp Peanut butter (This is an approx amount needed for one apple but this may vary depending on the thickness of how you cut your apple)
- Slice the apples into rounds (to desired thickness)
- Arrange in sets of two (of about the same size).
- Spread one slice of apple (from each set) with peanut butter. You can avoid the centre, near the core, as this will be removed.
- Place the second slice on top of the slice that has been spread with peanut butter.
- Use Christmas cookie cutters to remove the core from the centres of each set.