Carrot Apple Muffins sweetened only with fruit. Perfect for breakfast or as a healthy snack. Great for baby-led weaning.
I see so many recipes for “sugar-free” muffins and then I read the recipe only to see large amounts of honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar or brown sugar used in the recipe. I’m sure these recipes taste amazing but they aren’t sugar-free and often have very high sugar contents.
Technically these Carrot Apple Muffins aren’t sugar-free either but they are only sweetened with fruit.
If you are looking for an indulgent, sweet muffin then stop reading now. These certainly don’t fall into that category. However, if you are looking for a healthy breakfast or snack idea then these will be perfect. If you have tried my healthy banana bread and liked it then you should love these too. They have a similar sweetness level and texture.
The banana, apple and carrots in this recipe provide the sweetness. The riper the banana the sweeter the muffin will taste and this recipe works best with really ripe ones.
You May Also Like
Have you tried this recipe? I love receiving your feedback, please rate and leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @healthylittlefoodies
Looking for more healthy kid recipes?Sign up for my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more kind-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Carrot Apple Muffins (No added sugar)
- 2 tbsp (46g) coconut oil
- 1 ripe banana (mashed)
- 1 apple (grated)
- 1 packed cup (145g) grated carrot
- 1/3 cup (80g) apple puree
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp powdered ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Pre heat oven to 190c/375f and prepare muffin tin with liners. (I made 16 muffins)
- Melt coconut oil and add to the mashed banana, stir to combine.
- Add the apple puree, apple, carrot, eggs, milk and combine.
- Mix the flour, ground almonds, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda and salt together
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and stir.
- Fill each muffin case to the top with the mixture and sprinkle with the chopped walnuts (optional)
- Bake for approx. 35 mins (until golden brown and you can stick a knife in and it comes out clean.)
- Leave to cool for 10 mins.
Can be frozen Nutritional information is a ROUGH guide only, calculated using an online nutrition calculator.