Slow Cooker Beef Stew
A family-friendly dish that you can set and forget. Packed with beef, vegetables and potatoes making it a nutritious and complete meal.
- 750g (1.75lb) Chuck Steak *SEE NOTE 1
- 1 tbsp Plain (All Purpose) Flour
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 2 tsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Onions, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic, minced
- 5 Medium Carrots, Cut into large chunks
- 2 Celery Stalks, Cut into large chunks
- 1 tsp Mixed Herbs (dried)
- 2 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 500ml (2 cups) Beef Stock *Use low sodium / homemade stock when serving to a baby / young toddler.
- 1 Red Capsicum (Bell Pepper), Cut into large chunks
- 200g (7oz) Mushrooms, stalks removed
- 5 Medium Potatoes, Cut into quarters
Cut your beef into large chunks and toss in the flour.
Heat oil, over high heat, in a wide, heavy based pan. When hot add around one-third of the beef cubes and brown on all sides. Remove and repeat with the other two batches.
Deglaze the pan by adding the red wine vinegar. Add the onions, garlic, carrots and celery and saute, on low heat, for approx 3 mins. *SEE NOTE 2
Mix the stock, tomato puree, mustard & Worcestershire sauce together and add mixture to the pan.
Add the capsicum, mushrooms, potato and seared beef to the pan and stir before transferring to the slow cooker.
Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
Nutritional information is a rough guide only, calculated using an online calculator. The nutrition facts are for one serving, assuming 6 servings.
- BEEF - I used chuck in this recipe. You can use any cut that is nicely marbled with fat, such as blade, shoulder, shin or shank. Avoid leaner cuts of beef which can dry out during the long cooking process.
- THICKER GRAVY - This recipe produces a stew with a thin gravy if you prefer a thicker gravy - add 2-3 tbsps of flour at this stage. Sprinkle flour evenly across the surface, stir to coat before adding the liquids. Stir again until the flour is incorporated into the sauce.
- SEASONING - Taste and season at the end of cooking, removing portions for babies / young children before seasoning.
Calories: 464kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 85mg | Sodium: 346mg | Potassium: 1724mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 9160IU | Vitamin C: 53mg | Calcium: 110mg | Iron: 9.5mg