Chicken and Quinoa Bake
Quinoa, chicken and vegetables cooked in a creamy tomato sauce and topped with cheese.
Large frying pan
- 175g (1 cup) Quinoa
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1 Celery Stalk finely chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic minced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (Capsicum) finely chopped
- 500g (2 cups) Passata
- 1/2 tsp Italian Mixed Dried Herbs
- 100g (½ cup) Cream Cheese
- 250g (2 cups) Cooked Shredded Chicken
- 135g (1 cup) Frozen peas
- 50g (½ cup) Cheddar Cheese grated
- 50g (½ cup) Mozzarella grated
Preheat oven to 170c / 350F/ Gas 3
Cook the quinoa according to the pack instructions and set aside.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium/high heat. Add the onion and celery, reduce the heat and cook until softened. (around 4 mins)
Add the garlic and bell pepper (capsicum) and cook for a further 2 mins.
Add the passata, cream cheese and herbs, stir until the cheese is dissolved and then allow to simmer for 5 mins. Taste and season accordingly. (do not add salt if serving to a baby)
Add the quinoa, chicken and peas and stir until combined. Transfer the mixture to an ovenproof dish and sprinkle the grated cheese on top.
Bake until bubbling and all the cheese is melted (approx. 25 min).
175g (1 cup) of uncooked quinoa is equivalent to 380g (2.5 cups) of cooked quinoa. You can use white quinoa or tri-colour quinoa.
Nutritional Information is a ROUGH guide only, calculated using an online nutrition calculator.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to two days. To reheat leftovers you can use a microwave to warm, add a little more cheese on top and then place under the grill (broiler) until topping is bubbly. Alternatively, you can place in the oven (covered in foil) at 190C/375F until hot throughout.
- To freeze, prepare the dish but do not bake. Cover and freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then bake as per the recipe.
Calories: 379kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 65mg | Sodium: 222mg | Potassium: 804mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1629IU | Vitamin C: 45mg | Calcium: 165mg | Iron: 4mg