Sweet Potato, Lentil and Carrot Croquettes
Sweet Potato and Lentil Croquettes. Easy to pick up with a soft texture they are perfect for babies and toddlers but are sure to be a hit with older kids too.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 Small Onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 200g (3 small) Carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1/2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 400g (1 medium) Sweet Potato, cut into small chunks
- 100g (1/2 cup) Red split lentils
- 250ml (1 cup) Water
- 1 tbsp Chopped Coriander (cilantro) (optional)
- 50g (1/2 cup) Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 75g 1 cup Panko Breadcrumbs SEE NOTE 1
Heat oil in a large sauce pan over a medium high heat. Add the onions, garlic and carrots, reduced the heat, and sauté for 5 mins.
Add the red split lentils and sweet potato and stir for a further 5 mins.
Add the water, cover and simmer on a low heat for approx. 30 mins. (making sure to check and stir mixture so it does not burn) SEE NOTE 2
Mash together and chill for 30 mins.
Pre heat oven to 190c / 375f / gas 5
Add egg, cheese and coriander to the sweet potato and lentil mixture. Stir to combine. SEE NOTE 3
Use a heaped tablespoon of mixture to form each croquette and roll them into small sausage like shapes. It is easer if you form rough croquette shapes first, until all the mixture is used, them wash your hands and roll the croquettes in the breadcrumbs. You can tidy up the shape, while rolling in the breadcrumbs, until they look like the croquettes pictured.
Place on a greased baking tray, lightly spray with oil and cook for approx. 30 mins (until golden)
Nutritional Information is a rough ESTIMATE only, calculated using an online nutrition calculator.
- I find panko breadcrumbs give the best crunchy coating. The original recipe used fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs and they work well to but have less of a crush. You can use any breadcrumb to coat.
- You want to make sure the mixture is soft and the water has been absorbed.
- If you find the mixture is too wet to form croquettes then you can add a couple of tbsp of breadcrumbs into the mixture. This will soak up any excess moisture. Sometimes I need to do this, other times I don't.
Serving: 1croquette | Calories: 94kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 13mg | Sodium: 81mg | Potassium: 210mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 5680IU | Vitamin C: 2.1mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 1mg