These light and fluffy Scotch Pancakes are great for breakfast, a snack or for popping in the lunchbox. This recipe contains no added sugar making them perfect for baby-led weaning.
Servings 16 Pancakes
- 185g (1 1/2 cups) Plain (all-purpose) Flour
- 2 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Egg
- 200ml (3/4 cup + 1tbsp) Milk
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil SEE NOTE 1
Gently whisk the flour and baking powder together in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and break the egg into it. Pour in half the milk then whisk the ingredients together. Add the remaining milk and continue to whisk until combined. SEE NOTE 2
Heat a large non-stick frying pan, over medium heat, and coat the pan with the oil. Use a pastry brush or wipe with a folded paper towel to ensure that there is a thin, even coating of oil on the pan with no droplets of oil visible. SEE NOTE 3
Place a heaped tablespoon of batter into the pan. Cook until bubbles appear on the surface (see photo) then flip and cook the other side until golden (usually around 1 - 1 1/2 minutes). If you have a big pan you can do several at once. Repeat with remaining batter.
Serve warm, or cold, plain, or with a sweet or savoury topping!
Nutritional information is a ROUGH guide only, calculated using an online nutrition calcualtor. Facts are for 1 pancake with no additional toppings.
- You can replace coconut oil with another oil or you can use butter.
- There is a fine line between mixing just enough and too much. The ingredients should be thoroughly combined but the mixture does not have to be lump-free. Too much mixing will overdevelop the gluten in the flour which will result in your pancakes becoming tougher. The batter should be thick enough that it drips rather than runs off the spoon, don't be tempted to add more milk. It is supposed to be a thick batter.
- Pan Temperature - Too hot and your pancakes will be scorched, too cold and they can become flat and tough. Aim for medium heat and be prepared to adjust up or down over the course of frying.
Calories: 57kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 10mg | Potassium: 96mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 35IU | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 1mg