Broccoli Fritters Recipe
Packed full of broccoli, these kid-friendly fritters are perfect for lunch, a snack or part of a main meal.
Servings: 7 Fritters
- 1 Medium (approx. 300g) Broccoli
- 1 Egg *SEE NOTE 1 for substitution
- 65g (½ cup) All purpose Flour *SEE NOTE 2 for substitution
- 30g (⅓ cup) Extra Mature Cheddar Cheese *SEE NOTE 3 for substitution
- 1 tsp Dijion Mustard
- ½ tbsp Avocado Oil (or oil of choice)
Chop the broccoli into florets. Peel the hard parts of the stem and chop the stem into 1cm (⅓ inch) pieces. (See picture in post)
Steam the broccoli for 4-5 mins (until tender, but not mushy.)
Place the broccoli on a chopping board and using a large knife, chop into small pieces.
Whisk the egg in a large mixing bowl. Add the flour, cheese, mustard and broccoli and stir until combined. *SEE NOTE 4Season to taste (do not add salt if feeding baby / young child)
Scoop a ¼ cup of the mixture, form into a pattie shape around 1cm (⅓ inch) thick. Repeat to make seven patties.
Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Place half the fritters in the pan and cook for 2-3 mins on each side. Repeat with the remaining fritters.
BAKING - Frying produces the best result but you can bake these fritters if you prefer. Pre heat oven to 200C (395F) Place formed fritters on a lined baking tray and spray with oil. Bake for 12 mins, flip and bake for a further 5 mins.
Nutritional information is a rough guide only, calculated using an online nutritional calculator.
- EGG FREE - I have tested this recipe using a chia egg (1 tablespoon of chia seeds mixed with 3 tablespoon warm water to form paste). It worked well but I did find I needed to add an extra 2 tablespoon of liquid (milk / water) once mixed with the remaining ingredients.
- GLUTEN FREE -I have tested this recipe using chickpea flour and it worked well.
- DAIRY FREE - Replace cheese with 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast, ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder and ¼ teaspoon onion powder.
- The mixture will start off very dry but once fully mixed it should be a good consistency for forming into fritters. If still to dry you can add 1 -2 tablespoon of milk.
Calories: 84kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 28mg | Sodium: 58mg | Potassium: 154mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 345IU | Vitamin C: 38.2mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 0.9mg