These Roasted Parsnips are crispy on the outside, tender in the inside and their naturally sweet, nutty flavour is perfect for kids.
Servings 4 people
- 900g (2 lb) Parsnips
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Freshly Chopped Rosemary (Optional, see note 1 for alternatives)
Pre-heat oven to 210C (400F)
Peel the parsnips, chop off the top and trim the ends.
Slice into large match sticks, trying to keep the size as consistent as possible.
Add the parsnips to a large mixing bowl and toss in the olive oil. Add the rosemary (optional) and toss again.
Distribute the parsnips, over two baking trays, in a single layer. Make sure that the parsnips are not touching.
Bake for around 20 mins (until they start to brown), remove from oven, flip and then bake for a further 10-15 mins. (Until lightly brown and tender) *SEE NOTE 2
Season to taste (do not salt if serving to a baby)
Nutritional information is a rough guide only, calculated using an online nutrition calculator.
- If your child does not like rosemary then either miss it out or try adding
- freshly chopped thyme
- a little sumac, smoked paprika or cinnamon
- mixing in some grated parmesan
- grating a little lemon or orange zest once out of the oven.
- Keep a close eye on the parsnips at the end of cooking as they may start to burn.
Calories: 231kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 22mg | Potassium: 843mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin C: 38.3mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 1.3mg