These Zucchini Muffins are loaded with zucchini and apple and are a perfect muffin for baby-led weaning, for popping in the lunchbox or for enjoying as a mid-day snack.
- 85g (1/2 cup) Sultanas
- 60ml (1/4 cup) Coconut Oil, melted
- 2 Eggs
- 125ml (1/2 cup) Buttermilk (or 1/2 cup milk of choice mixed with 1.5 tsp lemon juice, allow to rest for 5 minutes before using)
- 80g (1/3 cup ) Unsweetened Apple Puree/ sauce
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 250g (2 cups) White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 145g (1 cup, packed) Zucchini, Grated
- 135g (1 large) Apple, Grated
Preheat oven to 180C / 355F and grease 12 cups of your muffin tray with cooking spray or butter.
Place sultanas in a bowl and soak in boiling water.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the coconut oil, apple puree, eggs, milk and vanilla extract. Mix them with a whisk/fork until they are combined.
In a separate bowl add the flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder and baking soda. Stir to mix through
Place the zucchini and apple onto a clean dish towel and wrap it around the grated veg/fruit and squeeze the excess juice into a bowl. NOTE
Drain the sultanas.
Add the dry flour mix to the wet ingredients and fold in gently until just combined.
Add the zucchini and apple and fold in gently. Then add the sultanas giving it one more gentle stir.
Divide the batter evenly between 12 muffin cups. Bake muffins for 25-30 minutes, or until the muffins are golden on top and a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
NOTE: This is not a very sweet muffin and contains very little sugar, my kids are happy to eat them this way so I don't feel the need to add extra sugar. If you would prefer a sweeter muffin you can add around a quarter cup to half a cup of sugar/maple syrup.
Nutritional Information is a ROUGH guide only, calculated using an online nutrition calculator.
- OIL - You can replace with a different oil if you prefer.
- BUTTERMILK - You can replace with a milk and lemon juice mixture as described. The acidity is needed to react with the baking soda.
- SULTANAS - Soaking is importing to rehydrate the sultanas. Skipping this step will result in the sultanas on top to burn and give a bitter taste to your muffins. The sultanas are the main source of sweetness so if you would prefer not to add them then you would need to replace them with something sweet, a different dried fruit, choc chips, a little sugar or maple syrup/honey.
- FLOUR -I used plain whole wheat flour, I am currently living in Australia and find their wholemeal flour whiter in colour and it appears more processed than the wholemeal flour I was used to in the UK. I can not guarantee what the results will be like with less processed wholemeal flour as I haven't tested. The recipe will also work well with plain / all purpose flour if you prefer.
- GRATED ZUCCHINI & APPLE - I have tested this recipe several times and I feel that it worth removing the excess liquid from the zucchini/apple. If there is too much liquid the muffin can be a little wet in the middle. You do not have to squeeze them until they are dry, you just want to remove the excess liquid. A gentle squeeze should do this. (My son loves to drink the juice squeezed out) If your kids do not like to see "green bits" in their food then you can peel the zucchini before grating.
- APPLE PUREE / SAUCE - You can use homemade or store-bought, I'd buy unsweetened.
- STIRRING - Don't be tempted to over stir the mixture. The mixture should be lumpy, thick and look very messy. It should only take around 10-12 strokes with your wooden spoon.
- BAKING - Every oven is different, so while you should still follow the bake time in this recipe, use a skewer to test your muffins a couple of minutes before the end of the bake time. Your skewer will come out clean if they are ready.
Calories: 165kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 28mg | Sodium: 129mg | Potassium: 243mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 85IU | Vitamin C: 2.9mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 1.1mg