Vegetable Fried Rice
This delicious Vegetable Fried Rice can be whipped up in less than fifteen minutes and can easily be adapted to suit your little one's taste buds.
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp Ginger, minced
- 1/2 Onion, finely chopped
- 240g (2 cups) Frozen vegetables *SEE NOTE 1
- 310g (2 cups) Cooked and chilled rice *SEE NOTE 2
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce *SEE NOTE 3
- 1/2 tsp Sesame Oil
- 3 Eggs, whisked
Heat oil in a wok or large skillet, over high heat.
Add the onion, garlic and ginger, reduce the heat and cook for around 1-2 minutes.
Add the vegetables (from frozen is fine) and cook until defrosted and water has evaporated. (around 2 minutes)
Add the rice, soy sauce and sesame oil and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
Move the rice to one side of the pan and pour the egg into the other side. Stir continuously to scramble the egg, until fully cooked through. *SEE NOTE 4
Stir the egg into the rice and serve.
Nutritional information is a rough estimate only, calculated using an online calculator.
- You can use any mix of frozen vegetables or fresh if you prefer.
- Chilled day old or defrosted frozen rice works best. Long grain, jasmine, basmati and brown rice all work well. For more information please read the rice section above. Always make sure to defrost your rice in the refrigerator and to thoroughly heat through when cooking.
- I recommend removing a portion of the rice, before adding the soy sauce, if serving a baby/toddler. I used a regular/ light Chinese soy sauce in this recipe. If you are looking for lower sodium, soy free and gluten free alternative then you could replace the soy sauce with Coconut Amino Sauce. Please read the soy sauce section above for more information.
- In my Chinese cooking course, I was taught to move the rice all around the edge of the wok and scramble the eggs in the centre. However, I find it easier to scramble at the side. You can use whatever method you find easiest.
Calories: 245kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 122mg | Sodium: 558mg | Potassium: 111mg | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 180IU | Vitamin C: 1.5mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1mg