Potato and Carrot Mash
A delicious side dish, pie topper or baby puree.
Servings 4 people
- 200g (3 med carrots) Carrots, peeled and cut into 1cm chunks
- 650g (4 med carrots) Potato, peeled and cut into rough chunks approx 3-5cm cubed * See Note 1
- 60ml (1/4 cup) Milk
- 20g (1 tbsp) Butter
Place the carrot and potatoes in a large saucepan. Cover with water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer until very tender (around 20 mins)
Drain the potato and carrots and return to the pan. * See note 2
In a small saucepan, melt the butter and milk together. *See note 3 Add to the potato and carrots and mash until smooth.* See note 4
Season to taste.
Nutritional information is a rough estimate only, calculated using an online calculator.
- Choose a starchy potato that is good for mashing. See above post for more detail.
- Make sure to drain the carrots and potato well so that they aren't too watery when mashed.
- Warming the butter and milk will help keep the mash warm and absorbs better.
- The carrots do not mash as well as the potatoes and there will be lumps (as seen in the images). If you wish, you can puree the carrot. Pureeing the potato is not recommended, it will result in a gloopy mash. Puree the carrot separately and add to the potato when mashing.
Calories: 193kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 84mg | Potassium: 857mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 8500IU | Vitamin C: 12.2mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 1.5mg