Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
A delicious and comforting soup with very little prep work.
Servings 8 people
- 700g (1 1/2 lb) Chicken (SEE NOTE 1)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 medium Onion, finely chopped (SEE NOTE 2)
- 1 Red Capsicum (Bell Pepper), finely chopped
- 1 can 400g Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 litre (4 cups) Chicken Stock (SEE NOTE 3)
- 1 can 400g Black Beans (drained) (SEE NOTE 4)
- 120g (1 cup) Corn
- 1 Lime (juice)
- 1/4 cup Chopped fresh corriander (cilantro)
- 2 Tortilla Wraps
- Toppings of Choice (SEE NOTE 5)
Add the chicken to the slow cooker. Sprinkle with the cumin, smoked paprika, and the dried oregano.
Add the garlic, onion, capsicum (pepper), tomatoes, chicken stock, black beans and corn. Stir to combine and place the lid on.
Cook on HIGH for 5 hours or LOW for 7 hours.
Remove the chicken and shred using two forks. (SEE NOTE 6)
TORTILLA STRIPS (SEE NOTE 7)
Pre heat oven to 180c (350F) and line a baking tray with baking paper or brush with oil.
Brush each tortilla lightly with oil and slice into strips.Arrange the strips on the tray and bake for approx 8-12 mins, until the strips are crisp and golden.Allow to cool, in the tray, before serving.
Nutritional information is an ESTIMATE only, calculated using an online calculator. The facts should be used as a ROUGH GUIDE only. The facts do not include the addition of extra toppings.
- I used breast meat in these photos but if you prefer you can replace the breast meat with thigh meat or even use a combination of both. Use skinless.
- I used a red onion in these photos but you can use a brown on white onion if you prefer.
- For babies and young children, you want to watch the sodium levels. Use a homemade stock or low sodium stock.
- You can replace the black beans with a different bean if you prefer. We often use red kidney beans.
- Topping suggestions (in addition to the tortilla strips) include avocado, grated cheese, sour cream, extra lime & coriander
- If your children prefer smooth soups then blend at this stage. You want to make sure the chicken is removed before blending.
- The tortilla strips can be made in advance.
Calories: 242kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 65mg | Sodium: 115mg | Potassium: 289mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 910IU | Vitamin C: 25.2mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 1.5mg