Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry
A deliciously spiced vegetarian curry, ideal for kids. The sweet potato adds a delicious sweetness that complements the spices perfectly.
Servings 6 people
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 Onion, finely diced
- 1 Carrot, grated and then chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp Curry Powder (see note 1)
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 270g 2 cups Sweet Potato, cut into 1cm cubes
- 800g 28oz Canned Chickpeas (2 x 400g), drained
- 400g 14 oz Can of Chopped Tomatoes
- 500ml 2 cups Vegetable / Chicken Stock (see note 2)
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium high heat. Add the onion and carrot and cook until the onion is transparent (around 2-3 mins)
Add the garlic, smoked paprika, cumin and curry powder and stir continuously for another min.
Add the sweet potato and continue to stir for a further two mins. Add some stock if it starts to stick.
Add the remaining ingredients, bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for approx 30 mins, until the potato is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
- Curry powder can vary greatly and can really change the taste of this curry. Check the ingredients and avoid those that have a high salt content if cooking for babies and young toddlers.
- Use homemade / low sodium stock for babies and kids.
Calories: 245kcal | Carbohydrates: 36.8g | Protein: 9.7g | Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 1.7mg | Sodium: 642.5mg | Sugar: 10g